BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not going to lie to myself, I have a 325ci...I will never beat anyone in a race and I have no aspirations to to supercharge, add intake, mess with my software, or add a huge ***** exhaust. What I do want to do is have more stability on winding roads and weave in out of traffic like i got the runs... so what options do I have? strut bars? sway bars?

I'm interested in what you guys think of other mods that I can do to my bone stock beemer.

...and yes I have searched but none of it really references verts.

thanks in advance :hi:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm not going to lie to myself, I have a 325ci...I will never beat anyone in a race and I have no aspirations to to supercharge, add intake, mess with my software, or add a huge ***** exhaust. What I do want to do is have more stability on winding roads and weave in out of traffic like i got the runs... so what options do I have? strut bars? sway bars?

I'm interested in what you guys think of other mods that I can do to my bone stock beemer.

...and yes I have searched but none of it really references verts.

thanks in advance :hi:
First of all, I hope you don't take any offence to this. Go to a driving event or touring event at your local track. Learn how to really drive the car, unless you have gotten some track time before, you don't know how to drive the car nearly to it's limits.

I think you would be very happy with a coilover suspension. I track my car and I haven't even bothered with sway bars yet, they are more of a fine tuning tool.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
I'm like CJ...have the pee-on 325ci,...it's fast & nimble for me weaving in/out of traffic, let alone nice fast, fun drives in the mountain roads, but would like some better suspension, etc,...but I think..."why bother?...it's a 325.....

so don't really know how/what to do to upgrade (or if it's even worth it to do to a 325)???

i figure someday I'll find my 330ci 'vert, even a ZHP 'vert, if i could find one,...last resort (meaning IF I have the bucks)...an E46 M3.

EDIT: but MANUAL is a MUST....auto's are for woosies...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I dropped my 01 325ci on the HR-sport cup kit (race sprints) which I got for a great deal. At first I was iffy on putting them on, afraid of a harsh ride, like my slammed scion TC. It took me a year until I heard some clunking to decide to do it.(my rear springs were broken, and shocks worn. (car only had 69k) however once I got them on... I do not regret it one bit... its slow... but looks great, handles great, is fun to drive and after a nice set of wheels I get compliments everywhere I go and people act like its a very nice high end expensive car I'm driving ( i know at one time it was).
all i have is the hr cup kit, arc-8 wheels 18x9- 245 square, clear lights around and mud guards( i like them but i have wide ass tires.) oh and the oem bmw sport shifter/ zhp knob.

Pic just for fun,

·
Registered
53 Posts
^ the windscreens are for the ladies... or men with long hair...

I dont like the way my ride looks with it up but it is there so the woman doesn't complain when I wanna put the top down...

·
Registered
205 Posts
^ the windscreens are for the ladies... or men with long hair...

I dont like the way my ride looks with it up but it is there so the woman doesn't complain when I wanna put the top down...
I orig. bought mine because my g/f all ways complained about her hair.. however I ride with it up all the time.. on highway you dont get that slap of wind across your head... makes it more comfortable to drive than having your windows down... 1st item I will buy if I ever have another Vert! Also I kinda like the look...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I installed a front strut brace on mine, but didn't feel much of a handling difference. Soon afterwards, I installed Eibach sways. BIG difference! The car maintains a firm (but not 'beat-you-to-death) ride (I have the Sport Pkg), but in the corners, the sways really stand out. Probably helps to have the urethane bushings (came with the sways) rather than rubber, but overall, the best performance investment I made.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I installed a front strut brace on mine, but didn't feel much of a handling difference. Soon afterwards, I installed Eibach sways. BIG difference! The car maintains a firm (but not 'beat-you-to-death) ride (I have the Sport Pkg), but in the corners, the sways really stand out. Probably helps to have the urethane bushings (came with the sways) rather than rubber, but overall, the best performance investment I made.
I could imagine the urethane bushings alone would make a big diff on some of our older verts here. I know all of mine looked to be decently worn for only having 70k however mine is an 01

How was the install? if I remember the front is very easy to get to, didnt pay attention to rear. (my scion-tc was a pain in the arse)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just adding 18" wheels/summer tires totally awoke the handling for me. Like the OP I have no aspirations to go crazy fast but enjoy blasting through the mountain roads in VT... taking curves at double the recommended/yellow speed with confidence. I never felt inspired to push it on the all-season 16s :)

I like that my car is otherwise mechanically stock, I think that will actually make it easier to sell if I ever need to. my 2c

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just adding 18" wheels/summer tires totally awoke the handling for me. Like the OP I have no aspirations to go crazy fast but enjoy blasting through the mountain roads in VT... taking curves at double the recommended/yellow speed with confidence. I never felt inspired to push it on the all-season 16s :)

I like that my car is otherwise mechanically stock, I think that will actually make it easier to sell if I ever need to. my 2c
Id have to agree, even with suspension my 16" had way to much rubber to give on turns. It actually got scary because the car felt like you could push it, but the wheels wouldn't take it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
+1 on seat time

I'm approaching my 7th track day and I still find oem suspension to be sufficient. Only things I've added are better tires and a little negative camber but I see no reason why you need to dial in your suspension for public roads. Maybe when I get bumped up a level or 2 I'll look at coils to be more competitive...

·
Registered
28,946 Posts
Coilovers

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
In order:

Beefier Sway bars
H&R or Eibach Sport Springs (ride quality will suffer)
Alignment
New struts/shocks as the new springs will trash your stock ones quickly
Alignment
Adjustable rear lower control arms with new poly trailing arm bushings
Agressive alignment

I can't say how unbelievable the car transformed after installing the adjustable rear lower control arms with new poly trailing arm bushings.

It's on rails!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Coil-overs, sways, weight savings...but you have a vert, they're not as sharp or as light as the coupes. Still, if you really want, try to shave some weight and do handling mods.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
front and rear sway bars, front and rear strut braces, FCAB, RTAB, limiters, 19" wheels & coilovers

or you can buy a coupe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts