BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a proud owner of a beautiful 2002 330CiC (Titanium Silver, grey int, Sports, Xenons, 18" wheels) for about 15 months. Sadly financial reasons forced me to sell it, and I finalized the transaction today.

The nightmare is that the guy I sold it to (a really nice 22 year old) drove it 10 blocks from my office where I sold it to him, to his office, then drove a friend of his back to my office to pick up his old car. Seems fine to this point, right. Then, he had his friend (who assured him she could drive a manual) drive the BMW to his house while he drove his old car. Unfortunately 8 blocks later smoke was pouring from the engine compartment and the car smelt like it was on fire. He called me, and even though I no longer have any responsibility for the car (sold as seen) I went to see him where the car was parked/abandoned. This is where it gets weird.... The clutch pedal was really stiff (hard to push down) and did not seem to disengage the clutch, because it was not possible to put the car in any gear. It seems that somehow, his friend managed (in 8 blocks) to totally destroy the clutch mechanism, to the point where the actuator doesn't even work. He called BMW roadside assistance is has to wait until tomorrow to find out what's wrong.

I have 2 questions:

1. Any thoughts on what could cause the clutch to not even disengage?

2. Is there anyway I can be held responsible for this? The car had 15K miles, had been dealer serviced on the intervals and was in perfect shape. The buyer test drove it extensively, and drove it away from the place of the sale with no problems.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.

Maddog

·
Driver
222 Posts
1. no idea.
2. I sincerely doubt that you could be held responsible, especially under the conditions. He drove it on multiple occasions, including on that day. You should definitely be in the clear.

·
Beware of pwner
1,851 Posts
It sounds like it sucks to be him.

Is he trying to pin the blame for the damage on you? Make sure you have all your service records, to show how well you took care of it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's being really reasonable, he knows its his problem. Sounds like his parents may be a bit litigious though. That might be the problem. I know I have nothing to hide, but I can't afford to get drawn into a legal battle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe, but it seems the BMW are pretty tight on warranty, for example, my external temp sensor fell out (apparently a common problem) and they refused to fix that under Warranty.

also, it looks like this friend of the buyer abused the car pretty badly, my gess is she drive it in 3rd revving hard and slipping the clutch thinking she was in 1st.

·
Registered
737 Posts
was his friend a woman? honestly...women can't drive, atleast most can't! seriously.....HOW THE FUDGE DO U MESS UP A PERFECTLY GOOD CAR IN 8 BLOCKS WITHOUT CRASHING IT? ok...I gotta calm down...

·
Imported Redneck
872 Posts
BMW shop should be able to tell ya everything ya know.

Keep us updated

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well if BMW will repair under warranty then this means there was something wrong with the car you sold him! Good news is it is warranty covered. If BMW won't cover it, it means it was driver misuse and you're off the hook. Either way you are in the clear. Don't worry about litigation. You sold him a 20,000 mile car under full warranty. There is no way you can be held responsible.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Yeah if ownership was truly transfered then your in the clear.

You sold a car with 20k miles and under warranty, the new owner test drove it to satisfaction. I think he needs to have it out with his friend more than you. Either way, you should not take ownership of this issue if the transaction is complete. Let the new owner take it to BMW and have a mechanic look at it. They will be able to tell what went wrong. Hopefully this guys friend will confess in the mean time. Otherwise, don't involve yourself but don't be harsh on the poor dude at least offer him advice. There aren't many 20k mile cars that are lemons with clutch burnout.

Either way the new owner drove it fine and his friend potentially caused the damage. NOT YOUR PROBLEM. So what if it were an accident instead of a mechanical problem, where he let his friend drive and they crashed? Would you be responsible? HELL NO and neither should you in this case unless you knew ahead of time there was some sort of clutch problem.

04ragtop said:
Well if BMW will repair under warranty then this means there was something wrong with the car you sold him! Good news is it is warranty covered. If BMW won't cover it, it means it was driver misuse and you're off the hook. Either way you are in the clear. Don't worry about litigation. You sold him a 20,000 mile car under full warranty. There is no way you can be held responsible.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,756 Posts
IN NO WAY is this your problem. Like you said, he drove it many times, and he bought it. Even if the car had a problem you were unaware of, it wouldn't be your fault, because he inspected the car to his satisfaction and then bought it. There are 1001 reasons why this is not your fault, and even if it were there would be no problem because it's covered by warranty.

JL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts