BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across a thick roll bar that fits the e46. I remember liking the Saleen Mustang one but i cant find anything but cheap thin ones. This would basically be just for looks and of course has to fit with the top down

Attachments

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
to each his own. i feel a roll bar 'messes' up the clean looks of a 'vert...but that's just me. i dont understand that u state it'd be 'just for looks'. the whole point of a rollbar is to prevent injury from roll over.....oh well.

GL in your search for one (i do agree tho' w/you to find a thicker one, as thin ones look lame, but if u DO put one in, i'd find a thicker FUNCTIONAL one to weld nicely into structure & trim it off nicely in rear seat area side bottoms with nice interior trim........)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Do what you like, but it seems redundant to add a second rollbar. There must be other mods or upgrades that the money could be spent on.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
cage it up son

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Its a mustang thing leave it at that. Agreed above if you want a roll bar and you dont use a back seat cage it, but then she HAS to see track time.

Also true above is that the windscreen does resemble this roll bar

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea i have an 02 M3 with the windscreen already. I love the look of the windscreen. I like the integrated break light. Thanks for all the reply's guys. if i find one, ill show you how it comes out

·
Registered
448 Posts
The Benz factory rollbar is true occupant protection, like ours it pops up automatically but unlike ours you can also put it up/down yourself with a switch/power-assist.

The Mustang aftermarket piece is called a "light bar" and is not a structural rollbar, big difference. FYI

The light bar looks OK on the Stangs, but as others have said, maybe not so much on an E46... my 2c

·
Registered
744 Posts
The Mustang aftermarket piece is called a "light bar" and is not a structural rollbar, big difference. FYI
Wow, that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen! So, in an accident, it breaks into sharp plastic shards from above, folding into the passenger compartment?! Nice... :evil:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Wow, that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen! So, in an accident, it breaks into sharp plastic shards from above, folding into the passenger compartment?! Nice... :evil:
I would imagine if you're rolling over in a Mustang which doesn't have a factory roll protection system, plastic shards would not be towards the top of your worry list :)

The light bars have been popular with the Stang crowd since the 1994 model. I will admit I thought about getting one for the 96 Mustang I had (V6 Auto, former rental car, mods = factory fog lights + 18" Cobra wheels). Not for long, but I did think about it :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Has anyone come across a thick roll bar that fits the e46. I remember liking the Saleen Mustang one but i cant find anything but cheap thin ones. This would basically be just for looks and of course has to fit with the top down
I think something like what you show in the Mustang pic, IF it had a power screen that would go up and down within it (like the BMW windscreen) would be neat. I guessing that it could be produced and sold for the same $4-$500 that the BMW windscreens cost.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
$4-$500 that the BMW windscreens cost.
I really didnt know thats how much that option was... I have every option on my M3 Vert. I LOVE the windscreen.

Benz factory rollbar also looks sweet. If it were flat black to match my car.. This saturday I'll detail it up and post a pic. (note, i have to get the front lip touched up from highway nicks)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts