BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I gave these solid copper core plugs a try and my initial impressions are positive. Better spark and a lower cost ($10/set vs. $40/set) at the penalty of a shorter life, which is fine since swapping plugs is a very quick job on an M54.

That said, what is the ideal service interval? I'm seeing 10K-20K from some quick research but nothing official.

Update: After testing out a 20K mile service interval, I will be scaling it down to a 15K mile one.

·
Premium Member
2016 340i & 2002 325Ci
3,277 Posts
Hmm, seems like a lot of S52 guys are running these. I don't have a definite answer but 15k looks right.

How is the difference in performance, if any, vs the OEM NGKs? (assuming you were running those before)

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, seems like a lot of S52 guys are running these. I don't have a definite answer but 15k looks right.

How is the difference in performance, if any, vs the OEM NGKs? (assuming you were running those before)
I noticed an improvement in responsiveness/sharpness from my Platinum NGK's with 55K+ miles on them, but that is not a fair comparison.

Copper is an optimal conductor and these are verified as a direct and correctly-gapped replacement for the M54, so I was curious.

My fuel filter has 60K+ miles on it on and my original 02 sensors have 163K+ miles on them, so I'm expecting the car to really wake up when I address them next week.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Drove 50+ miles this morning on the highway (65-80 mph) and achieved 31.1 MPG. So far, I'm liking these plugs.
What were you getting before? I'm probably doing this during my next oil change. It's definitely sounds like it's worth $12 and an extra ~20min of my time.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What were you getting before? I'm probably doing this during my next oil change. It's definitely sounds like it's worth $12 and an extra ~20min of my time.
Previous tank I saw 24 MPG on the highway, but again, those were Platinum NGK's nearing the end of their service life.

I'm surprised I saw such an improvement from just fresh plugs considering the mileage on the fuel filter and 02 sensors.

I am inspired to try a set myself, thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:
Let us know your impressions. :thumbup:

I'm aiming to give 20K miles a try for a replacement interval.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I changed my plugs today on m56...at 130k ... They had been done previously around 70k ...job is very easy - had to remove cabin filter housing (4xT30 bolts) - engine cover just pulls off (no bolts) ... Unclip coil connectors and just pulled out coils)... Old plugs were ngk oem style - see pic - I used ngk g- power play to replace - single tip - connector spray- torqued to 20lb/ft - car idles much more smoothly and has restored power ...I will try and post pics of old plugs later

·
Registered
E39 E90 E46 F10
4,864 Posts
I gave these solid copper core plugs a try and my initial impressions are positive. Better spark and a lower cost ($10/set vs. $40/set) at the penalty of a shorter life, which is fine since swapping plugs is a very quick job on an M54.

That said, what is the ideal service interval? I'm seeing 10K-20K from some quick research but nothing official.
Consider the Denso PK20TT (4504) next time. Platinum plugs from a likewise reputable manufacturer and can be had for about $20 a set.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I tested the first set out at a 20K mile service interval (the high end from what I researched). The engine started to feel a bit tired after 17K miles. Granted, nothing drastic...but noticeable.

Replaced the plugs with fresh ones and the engine's responsiveness and power delivery felt much crisper. Comparison photo attached and I will be sticking to 15K mile intervals from here on out.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
I ran these in my chipped Audi A4 1.8t for over 10 years and loved them. I'd change them out every six months because it was a 15 minute job with that engine. If I went over 10k miles I'd start to notice the car running a little rougher and I'd get misfires occasionally when pushing it hard. The plugs don't last long but for the price and initial performance, they're great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts