E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2000 323i steptronic with 149k miles. The tranny shifts fine but at this mileage I'm not sure if the fluid has been changed. I've read a few posts on the subject but I'm not clear on what is the best thing to do. I just called my local dealer and he said that the fluid inside the tranny is a special mineral sythetic which would cost over $300 just for the fluid to replace at $40 per quart.
What do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
192 Posts
bmwfann said:
Just bought a 2000 323i steptronic with 149k miles. The tranny shifts fine but at this mileage I'm not sure if the fluid has been changed. I've read a few posts on the subject but I'm not clear on what is the best thing to do. I just called my local dealer and he said that the fluid inside the tranny is a special mineral sythetic which would cost over $300 just for the fluid to replace at $40 per quart.
What do you guys suggest?
This one has been beaten to death… in a nutshell, if you can't find out the frequency, or if the fluid has never been changed leave it alone. If it was changed regularly from early on (30,000 miles) then you will probably want to change it. Do a search for more info.

·
Registered
671 Posts
dizzam 150k? my step has 87 and its goin out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RS330ci said:
This one has been beaten to death… in a nutshell, if you can't find out the frequency, or if the fluid has never been changed leave it alone. If it was changed regularly from early on (30,000 miles) then you will probably want to change it. Do a search for more info.

Thanks. How about the diff? It seems to be leaking.
I asked the guy at the dealer about putting Redline sytnthetic for both tranny and diff and he said it would harm them. He sait to stick to the dealer fluids.

·
Registered
192 Posts
bmwfann said:
Thanks. How about the diff? It seems to be leaking.
I asked the guy at the dealer about putting Redline sytnthetic for both tranny and diff and he said it would harm them. He sait to stick to the dealer fluids.
The diff will work just fine with Redline 75W90. The dealer is wrong. Just make sure you get Redline 75W90 and NOT 75W90ns. I just changed mine. You'll need to have the leak fixed though. The dealer may be partially right about the trans with the high mileage and the possibility that the fluid may never have been changed, but that has nothing to do with Redline fluid. The basic problem with changing auto trans fluid in a high-mileage car is that sludge/gunk may be dislodged and gum up the valve bodies, etc. causing the trans to fail. You're probably better off letting it live out it's life with the fluid it has gotten to know way too well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts