BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the proud new owner of a used 2001 330 convertible :) and just wanted to say hello to everyone. :D

She might be young but she's got 80k miles on her and I'm pondering on what maintenance items I should peg first?
- oil?
- ATF fluid?
- Diff fluid?
- Oxy Sensors?

I don't have a service history (can this be gotten thru BMW if the previous owner serviced her at the dealer?)

I haven't even begun to think of mods until I know I've got fresh fluids in her and newer parts where I'm sure the dealer I purchased from didn't change out.

One other question, checking the oil, it was a reddish brown? Is this normal? a bad thing? I had to add a quart - which i HAVE heard is fairly normal under spirited driving.

tia

davidw
2001 BMW330Cic 80k
2002 Honda CBR1100XX 34k:thumbup:

p.s. my first bmw, can you tell?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, tempting.

but i want to get the basics tuned up and fresh and make sure there are no bolts loose... then... maybe...

·
'a certain moderator'
38,195 Posts
i would probably do all of those fluids. diff and tranny fluid are supposed to be "lifetime" fluids in our cars, and those who have flushed out the old fluid have found it black as hell.

80k miles? ur car will go forever, but i would swap those fluids first thing.

·
needs a new sig...
4,890 Posts
agreed..redline fluids all around..is it CPO? if not get the pads and brake fluid checked out... the car should run strong for a long time dont worry!

·
Registered
273 Posts
When I bought my car I just took it in for an Inspection II service at the dealer. I was around 62K miles. You might be due for an Inspection I service. That way they'll tell you whats wrong with you car (knock on wood) if any. Your car will tell you right when you turn on the engine it'll say oil service or inspection and the mileage or mileage past due.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't that color of the oil common for synthetic oil thats required for our cars?

Congrats on the purchase. Hope you love it as much as I do mine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the notes :thumbup:

That is what I thought about the fluids, I'll be getting to those soon and first. Car's not a CPO but I did get a 3yr/36k warranty out of the dealer in the price :)

Not to start an oil threadwar, but I was considering going to Mobil1 15/50 Syn for engine oil as my neighborhood typically runs hotter than colder and I've had very good luck in the past with it and I understand the recommended BMW oil is a syn 5w/30?

Comments?

davidw
2001BMW330Cic
2002HondaCBR1100XX

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would do all fluids as suggested including brake fluid, complete flush. I use Mobil 1 10/40 and Mpbil 1 in the tranny and diff no propblems at all.

·
Registered
78 Posts
simsima immobilized!

simsima325 said:
i would probably do all of those fluids. diff and tranny fluid are supposed to be "lifetime" fluids in our cars, and those who have flushed out the old fluid have found it black as hell.

80k miles? ur car will go forever, but i would swap those fluids first thing.

HA HA HA!!
YO Brenden...how did it go on Saturday? I hope u guys did not freeze ur butts in the cold.
Hopefully u shall be enjoying your car soon.

Thanks for the jacket man!! :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts