BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please be patient, I'm more of a motor tuner than audiophile but I usually get around to installing stereo stuff after performance stuff. I have the 2001 330i with HK system. I have been researching the forum for recommendations about audio upgrades. I take it that the rear speakers are weak and need to be replaced. I want to keep the head unit but can/will replace any other components starting with speakers. Can you guys recommend the first component I should replace ie, rear speakers, and what do you recommend for <$500 for this component. Thanks!! :D

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, I have installed the Alpine CD/MP3 player (cha-s634, Blitzsafe, and XM Radio. So far so good, lots of room for improvement though......

·
Network Analyst
3,487 Posts
Hey, are you using the Alpine unit with the stock HK speakers? I went over to Tweeter today and the man said that I would need a new amp and speakers.

I would rather just get the head unit if I could.

dave

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I have the factory HK system. The Alpine and XM hook right into the factory CD Changer wiring in the trunk by going through the Blitzsafe. No need for another speaker or amp, this setup uses (and is controlled by) the factory headunit too.

·
Network Analyst
3,487 Posts
MP3 capable CD changer eh? Maybe I'll look into that instead of swapping out the head unit, amp, etc...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Network Analyst
3,487 Posts
thekubiaks said:
No, I have the factory HK system. The Alpine and XM hook right into the factory CD Changer wiring in the trunk by going through the Blitzsafe. No need for another speaker or amp, this setup uses (and is controlled by) the factory headunit too.
Is there a DIY anywhere?

dave

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
go to www.mw330i.com and look under Garage section, goto the XM Radio install section, then goto www.cdadapter.com/bmwxmalp.htm for the Blitzsafe, then you'll be jammin.... The site mentioned by JetBlackE46 is good too...

·
Registered
688 Posts
thekubiaks, the easiest, probably cheapest, and least space-consuming method of increasing bass in your car is to go with JL Audio Stealthboxes in the back and add an aftermarket amp.

I bought my Stealthboxes used, so not sure how much they are new, but I believe you could do them plus an amp probably for $400-700, depending on how much you want to spend on the amp.

ttenn and I have written DIYs on doing this, found on his website:

ttenn's FAQ: http://home.swbell.net/ttenn/subfaq.htm

My writeup: http://home.swbell.net/ttenn/stealth.htm

Thanks to ttenn for posting these.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts