E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, i'll be the proud owner of a 2000 323ci this friday.. comming from a honda accord, i am alittle worried about reliability issues but i hope the car will give me years of trouble free driving.. that said, i've already bought clear corners and clear tails for the car ;) .. are the stock bulbs at the front and back amber or clear? also, the previous owner told me he changed the oil every 15000 miles at the dealership.. this makes me kinda nervous as i changed my oil every 4000 in my honda.. is this ok?? also, he told me the waterpump froze last winter and he had to have it replaced.. he said the car was inspected and everything else was ok with the car.. is this common in 3 series cars and is there anything else i should look out for? the car is due for the 60k inspection.. is it worth getting or is this something i can do myself.. well i have a million more questions but i don't feel like writing a novel on my first post :p .. that said, i can't wait to get the car this friday.. thanks again and i hope this forum will be as helpful as the honda forums were..

·
Beware of pwner
1,681 Posts
Welcome! :hi:

Congrats on you purchase. I bought a used 323 a year and a half ago, and the only problems I've had so far are a window regulator go bad, and a leaking thermostat housing. The window regulator was replaced under warranty, and I was able to replace the thermostat myself. The stock bulbs in the amber lights are clear, but you can buy amber bulbs at any autoparts store, they're the single filament ones. BMW recommends changing the oil every 15,ooo miles since it's synthetic, but most on this forum do either a pre-interval oil & filter or just filter change.

If you want to do the inspection yourself, or even regular maintanence on your car it would be wise to invest in a Bentley service manual for our cars. Be prepared to spend a lot of money on metric and specialty tools though, if you don't already own them.

Let the modding begin. :thumbup:

·
Core Fanatic
1,104 Posts
:hi: Welcome and :thumbup: on the 323Ci. You shouldn't worry about reliability, but Hondas are just about trouble free and BMW are not. Nothing is as reliable as a Honda, so don't got mad when things go wrong. I am 2 BMW's deep right now and maintenance is costly from the dealers; so find a bentley manual or a good independant shop and always do the factory recommended maintenance at the bare minimum. Water Pumps are usually good to 100,000 miles. 60,000 is premature.

you should have the car inspected yourself, don't take the sellers word unless they are family. BMW can bankrupt you if you get an abused engine. Other than that, you will enjoy every curve in your new ride!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Congrats...I have had my car for 9 months and 18k miles and now problems now at 48k for the car. My car hung tough all winter through -30F and all that shiet...I did dry gas the night before and/or per tank of gas and she started every time. My driver's side window makes some noise some time, so maybe my window is dying, but I'll wait to take it in for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.