BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the family. I have some questions on Mercedes and BMW's. I've seen there's owners of both and I'm sure plenty of you who have driven both. The question easily put is, how do they compare?

Digging deeper I've always been a fan of driving. At the red light I've always been the one to see if someone wanted to race, even if I got waxed. My love for driving has grown to just simply getting up in the middle of the night to drive. I just find it so relaxing and so free. Nothing better than hitting the freeway in the middle of the night and having at it.

The cars I truly were interested in were the Acura TL and TSX (2004+ models), Lexus IS300, BMW X3, Dodge Charger r/t and Mustang GT 2005. The Acura's are nice and save, dependable as well but they lack the power I want for the price I can pay. IS300 are ok but not me (I love the 2006 models). Mustang and Charger are still in the back of my mind but the ones who prevail overall are is the Mercedes E500 and BMW 330i.

I know it may be a bit odd comparing the two but the Mercedes C-class is a little too toned down for me compared the the E-class. I'm not to overly fond of the 5-series, but the 3-series (more importantly the 330i) does wonders for me. The Audi A4 is nice as well.

In my price range the 2004 Mercedes E500 and 2005 BMW 330i (e46) are at the top of my list. I've heard wonderful things about both cars and equally negative things, 90% being maintenance issues.

I'm guessing my question in the end is money vs mileage.

I've read a lot of posts on here about maintenance. In my price range the lowest mileage is 80k and highest around 135k. Is a 110k Mercedes better than a 80k Mercedes? Let's say the 80k Mercedes hasn't had it's next major service but the 110k Mercedes has had it's major service, which would be the better buy (This is me not knowing about the scheduled services due at what mileage haha)?

The same question with the BMW.

That's kind of where I'm at. Trying to decide between the two or if I should just try to get a Charger or Mustang.

I know there's no clear cut answer to this question, but which is more reliable between the BMW or Mercedes?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
550 Posts
You like to drive, right? There's no question.
Two words: clutch pedal

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
I can't comment on maintenance and reliability of Mercedes since I've never owned one.

What I can tell you is that the E500 and 330i are completely different cars. One is an upper-scale family sedan with a lazy V8, the other is a sport sedan with a free-spirited (but still weaker) inline-6. Looking at the other cars you've been looking at... your tastes are either very eclectic, or you haven't been driving very long.

If you want a daily driver with a soft ride with effortless acceleration, then get the E500. If you'd rather your car communicate information about the surface to you, offer precision through mountain roads, and require a bit of thrashing to get going, then get the 330i. Besides being German, there really isn't anything common to both cars.

·
Registered
540 Posts
if you like to punch it on the highway youll prob like the e500 more..V8. If you like curvy roads and enjoy handling then 330i.

·
Registered
837 Posts
mustang

·
Registered
738 Posts
I own an 06 E500 4-matic and it is a pleasure to drive when you set the air-matic suspension into sport2 mode. Also, when you set the transmission into sport mode, it shifts very quickly and smoothly. The only thing that is a pain is the the cost of ownership. I bought it new in 2006 and it now has 47,000 miles on it. I've had to get the transmission fluid flushed (it was slipping) and a front shock absorber replaced ($1,800 for parts, labor was covered under the warranty). I will post some pictures when I can. I bought my E46 just a a cheap beater but it had been more expensive because of everything failing at 74k miles. I'll be honest, the E46 is a POS compared to my other cars.

·
Registered
143 Posts
How about you race at a racetrack instead of public streets! You won't be driving **** after your rookie ass looses controll and crashes into a family in a minivan.

·
Registered
738 Posts
How about you race at a racetrack instead of public streets! You won't be driving **** after your rookie ass looses controll and crashes into a family in a minivan.
You probably know from experience given your username :shhh:

Sorry, I had to..

But seriously, NO RACING ON PUBIC STREETS!

·
Registered
531 Posts
The E46 will relay much more input to the driver. They are entirely different vehicles. I must say that the E46 is one of the most fun to drive chassis' I've ever had the honor to drive.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
look up maintenance costs and specially PART COSTS for the e500. If you have a tight budget, you're def. going to run away from the e500.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have 3 friends with e classes 2 of them e55 and one e500 the e500 had its transmission replaced twice and still broke so he sold it one of the e55 has been repaired at the dealer more than twice a month now (he has warranty) the other just replaced 4000 worth of suspension parts his airbags leaked i would say stay away from an e class Ive had an Audi a4 nothing but problems Ive had by e46 for 60k now and only have done preventative maintenance one it

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Digging deeper I've always been a fan of driving. At the red light I've always been the one to see if someone wanted to race, even if I got waxed. My love for driving has grown to just simply getting up in the middle of the night to drive. I just find it so relaxing and so free. Nothing better than hitting the freeway in the middle of the night and having at it.
:facepalm: To paraphrase Bruce Lee, learn to practice the art of racing without racing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts