·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
topic

·
Registered
598 Posts
Use a turkey baster or buy a similar better tool from an auto parts store, along with a quart of synthetic ATF (automotive transmission fluid), then vacuum out the old fluid and replace with new. Vacuum out the fluid into a glass jar. Drive the car for a week and do it over again. You will have about 60% fresh fluid this way.

If you want to make a mess, remove the reservoir from the the engine block, and tip it to pour out the old fluid from the reservoir and the lines. Pour the fluid into a jar. Then remove the plastic pan under the engine and clean up all the fluid that you spilled all over it. Drive the car for a week and do it over again. You will have about 75% fresh fluid this way but you will probably have leaky power steering hoses because the OEM hose-clamps got stretched out. Then, replace the reservoir with new (about $35) cut off about 1/4" from the top of each hose so you have fresh rubber, and buy some 360 degree hose clamps from NAPA where the clamp goes all the way around -- not like the leaky worm gear clamps you can buy everywhere else. It's ok to buy a new reservoir because the bottom of it has a small filter, and avoiding damage to the $450 steering rack is a good idea.

Either way, inspect the jar after letting it settle for about a week. If the bottom of the jar doesn't have any metal particles, everything is ok.

Repeat the vacuum-out procedure (from the 1st paragraph) about every 2 years on all your cars.

·
Registered
717 Posts
...and buy some 360 degree hose clamps from NAPA where the clamp goes all the way around -- not like the leaky worm gear clamps you can buy everywhere else.
Hey Tom,

I'm not sure I understand the difference. Any chance you could post some pictures of the more desireable style of clamp. I'm affraid that I've been buying the worm gear style clamps, thinking that these were the "best".

Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
598 Posts
NAPA's 360 degree clamps have an extra band of metal under the worm gear, over which the worm gear slides, so there are no gaps in the clamp-to-hose area under the clamp. The guy behind the counter will have a NAPA clamp catalog that you can look at if he doesn't understand what you mean by 360 degree hose clamps. Goog luck!

·
Registered
598 Posts
That looks like a good design even though the important part, on the back-side of the worm gear, isn't in the photograph. Still, I think you have the right part, with a 360 dgree clamp (and the worm gear won't tear up the hose either) because there is a band of metal all the way around and under the worm gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts