BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, winter is here. Just wanted to ask if it is a good idea to purchase a new set of cheap rims for the winter.

Over the summer I purchased a set of Michilen Alpins. Discount Tire says they would put them on the original for like $40-50.

If I did this, then back in the spring, I would have to pay them again to switch back my sport tires.

So, here is the question. Should I go and purchase a new set of cheap rims. They say they don't charge to change the wheels + rims.

Anybody selling their OEM 17" rims?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny thing. Yesterday, I talked to a Discount Tire manager in the richer area in town and said it would cost aroun $40-50.

I just called another discount tire and the manager told me that it is only $40 for a lifetime service to change the tires. That's pretty cheap.

Not sure bout the discrepancy in prices though.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
Also, I always thought that repeatedly mounting and dismounting a tire was bad for it. The bead area takes a beating every time its stretched on and off a wheel. Perhaps it is not as critical an issue with a softer 16" snow tire as it is for a 17" performance tire.

Ed

·
Registered
202 Posts
I went through the same thing as you. I then decided to go with a seperate set of winter steelies. I am glad I did. It is easier on your tires (mounting/dismounting), and it is easier on your "nice" rims (less potholes,snow, and salt). I have never heard of a company offering "lifetime" service for mounting and balancing.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man this is weird. I called up another Discount Tire in my area and set up an appointment, cause they were going to do it free.

Had it done just a few hours ago and it looks awesome.

Apparently this manager said that if you bought the tire from them, they do it for free. And they did a great job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts