BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sucumb to the beginning of modifying my HK system in my 2001 325i. I wanted to brainstorm with you guys on your thoughts and opinions on what I ordered.

I bought an Xtant a6001 mono amp to power two 12" Alpine R6 subwoofers (dual voice coil 2ohm). I think the installer is going to wire them in a series parallel fashion so that the amp operates in a 2ohm load to the subs. The two subs should appear as a single sub at 2ohms.

I don't have a ski locker and he was going to drill many holes in the back of the trunk facing the rear seats and clear out the area to allow the bass to fill in the cabin. Any recommendations that I should tell him in allowing the best flow of bass into the cabin. He plans on firing the subs up instead of firing back to elimate bass rattling the back and pushing the sound up and out. He is customizing the box for me and blending into the trunk and then will install the amp to where it is recessed into the gray carpet just above the sub area.

He is going to splice into the speaker wire to provide the audio to the sub by using a line level convertor I believe. He also said the amp will take both balanced and unbalanced and will sound very nice this way.

Ideas, comments, suggestions, whatever. Let me know. There are some awesome resources out here and I encourage any opinions.

I can't wait to get it all setup. Oh, by the way, I'm in the Dallas area.

Thanks,
activethermal

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I don't have that. I thought that is what people referred to as the ski locker hole anyway. Nevertheless, no openings ski locker, armrest or otherwise.

What do you think about the scenario?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
151 Posts
just out of curiosity what location are u having it installed at? i remeber a while back when they talked me into all this stuff and they butchered my car i didnt even have the intentions of doing anything other than a prefab box with a single 12....omg they cut a hole in my floor, bare wires lying around...just a nightmare....but i dont mean to be ragging on them its just this was my experience......pm me for more info or just email me at [email protected] i dont mind helping you out.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Southlake. Brand new store. The guy is from Car Toys and has a lot of experience. I hope it turns out good.

I just wanted some feedback on how to get the bass in the cabin. I posted most of it in the orginal post above.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let's try this again...

What is the most efficient way for bass to fill the cabin. For sedans without skilockers...

i got an xtant 6001 and two 12" r6 subs. Read the original post for more details.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Uhm - if you don't have the ski hole already and it doesn't come /w the perforations to actually punch one out - i do NOT recommend drilling holes into the seat just for bass.

I'd just port the bass into the cabin via the existing speaker holes in the rear deck. Make sure to dynamatt the rear deck, as this will probably cause it to rattle...

It seems easy enough - am I missing something?

activethermal said:
Let's try this again...

What is the most efficient way for bass to fill the cabin. For sedans without skilockers...

i got an xtant 6001 and two 12" r6 subs. Read the original post for more details.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so, by using just the existing speaker holes, I can hear the same amount of bass? Would I want to use those speakers for midbass perhaps? at a frequency cutoff?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Think of it as a cheap port since you don't have the option of using the ski passthru. I can't say anythign about the quality of the bass, but in terms of volume, it should be much better than not using those holes.

I don't see much of a point to having midbass drivers in the back AND using a dedicated subwoofer also coming from the back. Usually you'd want strong midbass upfront to help bring the sound stage forward. If you want, turn the crossover tothe subs up to about 100hz instead of 70-80hz. I don't remember you mentioning anything about replacing the head or interior speakers, so I'm assuming you'll keep the stock midranges in the rear seat bolsters. That should provide you w/ some high frequency/rear fill.

activethermal said:
so, by using just the existing speaker holes, I can hear the same amount of bass? Would I want to use those speakers for midbass perhaps? at a frequency cutoff?

·
Registered
61 Posts
We are in the same boat. I have a 99 323i with no rear arm rest. But there is hope. Even though you dont have the rear arm rest you can still knock out the area where the ski pass would be. Remove the rear seat back and you will notice a foam pad with black rubber backing. Remove the center of the rubber backing which has the BMW logo. Behind that you will see where BMW made the perforation so that while the car was on the assembly line and you wanted the ski hole they could just punch it out. You can do the same by taking a flat head screwdriver and knocking out the perforations and you should gain about 3db.

Let us know how it turns out.:thumbup:

·
Registered
409 Posts
oh, by the way, i also had this prob. i just removed the ski pass and definitely get that 3db increase! it works! good luck...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
will the seat flap or rattle from the ski pass being opened up....also fire the subs or out towards the back of the trunk?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts