BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 323i Automatic.
I get a thumping noise (clunk sound) from the back whenever I slow down. The dealer identified it to a known Ouput Flange problem, replaced the flange, transmission output shaft and bushing. The noise came back after a few weeks. The dealer then replaced the transmission oil pump, pressure regulator and gasket. This didn't fix the problem. Now the dealer is willing to replace the whole transmission for me as its still under warrantly.

Does anybody have an insight into this problem? Also, are there any differences between a new transmission and stock factory transmission which came with the car.

My search of this forum, lead me a similar post:
-------------------------------------------
Output flange

That was the part that was replaced on my ride.

It is the rubber bushing that goes between the differential and the rear drive axles. Usually this particular part has some slop/play in it to buffer the drivetrain from power delivery, on automatics this seems to be exaggerated because the torque converter delivers power differently than manuals.

Info courtesy of The HACK over at Bimmerfest.

Hope this helps ya !

Jo
-------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your time.
Shadycsh.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I talked to the BMW dealers prior to purchasing my car they told me that the transmissions in these cars are very strong. They said that should a problem come up that they tend to replace the transmission instead of replacing them. The reason for this was because of their history of being "bullet-proof" they didn't train many employees on servicing them. It would take too long to ship off for work and then ship back. They instead prefer to simply replace the things because it was too much to try and fix it. Not sure how much was BS/truth. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts