E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a m3 I'm not 100 percent sure if this is how it's supposed to drive... It's a 2006 competition, when I'm driving if I go to slow down and come to a stop and leave it in a high gear like 4 is it supposed to feel like its kinda vibrating/ grinding?

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
I just bought a m3 I'm not 100 percent sure if this is how it's supposed to drive... It's a 2006 competition, when I'm driving if I go to slow down and come to a stop and leave it in a high gear like 4 is it supposed to feel like its kinda vibrating/ grinding?
Why the hell are you coming to stop in 4th gear?
Do you know the principles of a manual transmission?

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Doesn't seem normal. Mine downshifts smoothly as I come to a stop. Have you reset the SMG though? Mine was kind of wonky until I did that. Put the car in neutral around 40 mph and coast. Pull back on both paddles and hold it for a few seconds. Resets the adaptive memory. What mode are you in?

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Have you ever driven a manual. If you go too slow in a gear the car will start to stall. SMG should shift for you before you reach that point. Sounds like it's waiting too long.

EDIT: But if you hear GRINDING then no, that is definitely not normal. Regardless of the mode you're in the car should downshift for you before you reach a stall condition. If it's shaking and grinding then something is wrong.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Correct, the car should downshift on it's own as you come to a stop. The grinding noise that you are hearing does worry me slightly - perhaps stop by the dealership and see if you can get a software update for the tranny?

Even in 6th, coming to a stop I'll notice mine flashing down to 4th, 2nd and then 1st once at a dead stop. My car isn't a competition but doubt that makes a difference to the SMG software.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
No, you shouldn't feel the slots. Take the car somewhere where you can coast to a stop from second or third without using the brakes. Let the car downshift. See if you still hear the same thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.