E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 e46 320d
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

I am brand new to the e46 community. I'm busy buying my 2000 320d. I am so excited to join the community. I've learned so much already on this forum. Hoping to start posting photos and things soon

I'm from Boksburg in South Africa.

·
Registered
2000 e46 320d
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What should be the first thing I do for my e46? After a proper cleaning and polishing. The poor baby has been standing alone for 5 years. So needs some much needed TLC. But after all of that, what should I focus on?

·
Registered
133 Posts
What should be the first thing I do for my e46? After a proper cleaning and polishing. The poor baby has been standing alone for 5 years. So needs some much needed TLC. But after all of that, what should I focus on?
Hello there!
Well, it's arbitrary question – I would say in such order:

1) Oil change – better be 5W40. Higher than manufacturer recommended viscosity (5W30) is better for higher mileage and warmer climate. Oil change includes oil filter, 2 oil rings and 6 liters of oil.
2) I would go for coil and spark plugs – remove and replace. At least spark plugs for starters. Lucky for you – you have 4 cylinders instead of 6.
3) Main air filter. Cabin filter can wait.
4) Power steering fluid.
5) Transmission fluid
6) Pretty much all the fluids, actually. I would also do engine flush before changing oil to clean all the mess.
7) Get yourself a decent OBD scanner – best option – just get a cable with OBD port and 'BMW Scanner' from PA Soft. Soft ware is free, cable is around $30. Will have better understanding and we around here would be able to help you faster :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
2000 e46 320d
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello there!
Well, it's arbitrary question – I would say in such order:

1) Oil change – better be 10W40. Higher than manufacturer recommended viscosity (5W30) is better for higher mileage and warmer climate. Oil change includes oil filter, 2 oil rings and 6 liters of oil.
2) I would go for coil and spark plugs – remove and replace. At least spark plugs for starters. Lucky for you – you have 4 cylinders instead of 6.
3) Main air filter. Cabin filter can wait.
4) Power steering fluid.
5) Transmission fluid
6) Pretty much all the fluids, actually. I would also do engine flush before changing oil to clean all the mess.
7) Get yourself a decent OBD scanner – best option – just get a cable with OBD port and 'BMW Scanner' from PA Soft. Soft ware is free, cable is around $30. Will have better understanding and we around here would be able to help you faster :)

Good luck!
Thanks so much for the advice. I am most assuredly going to become a avid member of this forum. Shes being towed to my place now so the fun can start

·
Registered
1980 733i, 2006 m3
717 Posts
Welcome!
You have solid advice so far. This place is so great. People from all over the world. Thanks for joining us.

·
Registered
2000 e46 320d
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome!
You have solid advice so far. This place is so great. People from all over the world. Thanks for joining us.
Thanks so much. I've been working on her, and last night came to the horrifying realization that the plank who had it before me, put petrol in with the diesel. I wish I knew who it was so I can give him/her/it a piece of my mind. Luckily it seems that she wasn't as badly damaged and it might only be the injectors that need to be cleaned along with a complete fuel system flush

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks so much. I've been working on her, and last night came to the horrifying realization that the plank who had it before me, put petrol in with the diesel. I wish I knew who it was so I can give him/her/it a piece of my mind. Luckily it seems that she wasn't as badly damaged and it might only be the injectors that need to be cleaned along with a complete fuel system flush
It happens. Not as bad as you think. It’s not great though. Need to do injector cleaning, fuel filter replacement and valve cleaning as well. Liqui Molly can help with some of it. Would also do a fuel lines pro-cleaning and after that - make sure to check the fuel pressure. I believe it has to be around 50psi, might be different for diesel though

·
Registered
2000 e46 320d
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It happens. Not as bad as you think. It’s not great though. Need to do injector cleaning, fuel filter replacement and valve cleaning as well. Liqui Molly can help with some of it. Would also do a fuel lines pro-cleaning and after that - make sure to check the fuel pressure. I believe it has to be around 50psi, might be different for diesel though
Agreed. But still. How can someone disrespect a car like this

·
Registered
2000 e46 320d
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had my brake booster glued together with a super glue. Something I was lucky to discover before bad things had happened. Some people should not be allowed to ride anything more complicated than a bus seat. Period.
Not even. Have you seen the state of public transport nowadays. Here in South Africa, you only get onto public transport if your life depends on it. Otherwise, just walk. Its less dangerous

·
Registered
2000 e46 320d
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am looking for a decent Bluetooth head unit made for the E46. I found an alpine one that I really really want, but its worth more than I am paying for the car

·
Registered
133 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts