BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm from Beaufort West, a small village in South Africa. My previous car was a E30 325i BMW which I first turbo'd and then decided to do a V8 transplant. Because the BMW v8's are so bloody expensive here I decided to go for the Toyota 1UZFE 4litre V8 out of the LS400 Lexus.

After lots off blood, sweat and tears a guy offered me a veeeery good price for the car and because I have to drive a lot of long distances, I decided to go for a 320d.

I found a 2001 320d for a good price and although it had some technical issues, I decidied that it was worth the try. The drivetrain was in good nick so the expensive bits was covered.

After replacing a rear wheelbearing, tappetcover breather, turbo gasket and some trimmings I had a beautiful car. It gives me an average of 6.8l/100km with mixed driving so I'm happy with that after the 13l/100km the V8 gave me.

So that's my story of staying in the BMW family. Next one is going to be a 330d, maybe an E90 but I'll settle for another E46.

I still have some small issues to sort out so I will definitely see you guys in the technical forums.

Njoy!!!:woot:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Starting problems

Good morning to all from West Tennesse

I have a 2001 330i that my son drives. He was headed off to school this morning, and came back in and said his car wouln't start. He took my truck to school so I could check it out. This has happened a couple times before, and each time, it seemed to resolve itself.

It cranks fine, but seems to not be getting fuel. He parks in the driveway which has some slant, so I thought he might be too low on fuel. That's not the problem. He does not lock the car, because the battery is weak in his key (remote).

Anyone know if the anti-theft mechanism can shut off the fuel? If so, how do I reset it?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
If he doesn't lock his car, the fuel tank is unlocked. Someone could be stealing gas from him or something

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,756 Posts
Good morning to all from West Tennesse

I have a 2001 330i that my son drives. He was headed off to school this morning, and came back in and said his car wouln't start. He took my truck to school so I could check it out. This has happened a couple times before, and each time, it seemed to resolve itself.

It cranks fine, but seems to not be getting fuel. He parks in the driveway which has some slant, so I thought he might be too low on fuel. That's not the problem. He does not lock the car, because the battery is weak in his key (remote).

Anyone know if the anti-theft mechanism can shut off the fuel? If so, how do I reset it?
Anti theft mechanism could definitely shut off the fuel. My M5 has done this several times and I have to physically GET OUT of my car and lock it and unlock it to reset the anti theft.

Key here is GET OUT since the car is smart enough to tell by weight whether someone is in the seat or not.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi guys. I'm from Beaufort West, a small village in South Africa. My previous car was a E30 325i BMW which I first turbo'd and then decided to do a V8 transplant. Because the BMW v8's are so bloody expensive here I decided to go for the Toyota 1UZFE 4litre V8 out of the LS400 Lexus.

After lots off blood, sweat and tears a guy offered me a veeeery good price for the car and because I have to drive a lot of long distances, I decided to go for a 320d.

I found a 2001 320d for a good price and although it had some technical issues, I decidied that it was worth the try. The drivetrain was in good nick so the expensive bits was covered.

After replacing a rear wheelbearing, tappetcover breather, turbo gasket and some trimmings I had a beautiful car. It gives me an average of 6.8l/100km with mixed driving so I'm happy with that after the 13l/100km the V8 gave me.

So that's my story of staying in the BMW family. Next one is going to be a 330d, maybe an E90 but I'll settle for another E46.

I still have some small issues to sort out so I will definitely see you guys in the technical forums.

Njoy!!!:woot:
mine does 5.6L/100km and is also a 320d but a facelift '03, some faster driving will only get the overall up to 5.7 but rarely happens though, on highways it does a sweet 4.6 :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts