E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been on the hunt for another M3 since early December. I purchased an M3 last year and had that SMG converted to a manual and unfortunately after I drove it about 120 miles, hit some road debris and I decided to part with that car.
I saw this car a couple of weeks ago, about an hour from my home, I connected with the private seller the next day and we agreed on price.

2004 M3, former EAG car (2xs), car is in near mint condition. Had just over 33K miles, sub frame reinforcement had been done, valve adjustment done recently, brand new ZCP/Alcon BBK (never been bedded). ZCP Wheels, AutoSolutions SSK and brand new Michelins. Very happy with the car so far, only downside, minor carfax damage reported in rear while in the care of EAG and fixed by them, cant even notice any work was done.
Wheel Tire Cloud Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Speedometer Wheel Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Car seat cover

I bought M3 mats, Weathertech Mats for sale,, and that's about it, nothing else needs to be done, for now :).
Glad to be back in an E46 after a 10+ Year Hiatus, still miss my ESS Supercharged 330 CI

·
Registered
1980 733i, 2006 m3
672 Posts
Nice!
Looks real clean. That mileage is too low, get out there and drive it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sweet! I have a very similar ride from EAG inventory, 43K miles, but with VANOS done and sitting on a Dinan suspension kit, short shifter, new bushings, H&R 30mm front sway which EAG installed when I purchased her.

Handling is fantastic, tenacious grip over real world pavement. The only trouble is, I don't use the car nearly enough. Motorcycles and bicycles and jetski suck up the limited free time. Back to EAG? BaT? I am really torn about it. My teenager seems indifferent toward bikes and cars, the silly zoomer.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant

·
Registered
M54 330i
683 Posts
Thats crazy low miles for the age, those low mileage examples are commanding very high premiums on this side of the pond..
But 33k on a 20+ year old car is not the same as a new car. The parts and rubber are still up to 20 years deteriorated, and many parts will need to be replaced just the same. It also likely means the car sat unused for long periods of time, which can create further serious problems.

Low miles on an ancient car isn't necessarily good, although for the right low price, it can be. Just keep that in mind. I don't think I'd pay more than 12k for a 33k miles e46. It may need even more TLC than one that was driven regularly.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet! I have a very similar ride from EAG inventory, 43K miles, but with VANOS done and sitting on a Dinan suspension kit, short shifter, new bushings, H&R 30mm front sway which EAG installed when I purchased her.

Handling is fantastic, tenacious grip over real world pavement. The only trouble is, I don't use the car nearly enough. Motorcycles and bicycles and jetski suck up the limited free time. Back to EAG? BaT? I am really torn about it. My teenager seems indifferent toward bikes and cars, the silly zoomer.
Once you sell it, you'll want it back!, nice example
They're still appreciating, helps with the insurance and maintenance costs

·
Registered
M54 330i
683 Posts
Once you sell it, you'll want it back!, nice example
They're still appreciating, helps with the insurance and maintenance costs
No, they are not appreciating, we're in a bubble. Don't be fooled. They expect that the used car bubble will burst in late 2022/early 2023. The prices are artificial based on global events, but recent events are about to collapse the bubble because people don't have government money to spend anymore, and the job market is a disaster, cost of living is doubled, and people don't have the money to spend anymore. We are in for a MAJOR market correction. MAJOR. Mark my words. Not just in cars, but also stocks, crypto, electronics/gpus, and more. Everything that's inflated 2+ times over market right now is about to collapse.

So you've got 6 to 12 months (give or take, and maybe up to 24 months to be generous) before used car prices return to normal. Beware! That's why I'm keeping my car instead of buying a new one. I'm not going to spend inflated prices. I could afford it but I like my car just fine, so I put in a few thousand to get it to spec (and as a hobby) until the used car market returns to normal.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But 33k on a 20+ year old car is not the same as a new car. The parts and rubber are still up to 20 years deteriorated, and many parts will need to be replaced just the same. It also likely means the car sat unused for long periods of time, which can create further serious problems.

Low miles on an ancient car isn't necessarily good, although for the right low price, it can be. Just keep that in mind. I don't think I'd pay more than 12k for a 33k miles e46. It may need even more TLC than one that was driven regularly.
I hear what you're saying but this car seems to have been kept in a living room or something. EAG would've changed any weak parts but I took a look at it in on a lift and everything seemed great, I have $5K budgeted for just in case, but so far so good, only time will tell. The seller gave me service records and the original window sticker
My last E46 M3 had 38K miles and the Vanos went out shortly after I bought it, so your theory does have some merit, just don't agree with your extreme.
Almost everyone will pay $12K for a 33K E46, when they can turn around and sell it for $40K rather quickly.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, they are not appreciating, we're in a bubble. Don't be fooled. They expect that the used car bubble will burst in late 2022/early 2023. The prices are artificial based on global events, but recent events are about to collapse the bubble because people don't have government money to spend anymore, and the job market is a disaster, cost of living is doubled, and people don't have the money to spend anymore. We are in for a MAJOR market correction. MAJOR. Mark my words. Not just in cars, but also stocks, crypto, electronics/gpus, and more. Everything that's inflated 2+ times over market right now is about to collapse.

So you've got 6 to 12 months (give or take, and maybe up to 24 months to be generous) before used car prices return to normal. Beware! That's why I'm keeping my car instead of buying a new one. I'm not going to spend inflated prices. I could afford it but I like my car just fine, so I put in a few thousand to get it to spec (and as a hobby) until the used car market returns to normal.
LOL, a 10 year bubble????? They were 19K back in 2011, I'm not talking about the last few weeks or 2 years

·
Registered
M54 330i
683 Posts
I'm talking about the massively inflated prices in the used car market where everything as much as doubled since 2020, this is about to collapse. Strong warning for those wise enough to heed it.

They were 19k ten years ago. And the same 19k car in 2011 would have a market value of about 12k today. The prices are massively inflated because of the things I mentioned. Global events, and this is a massive bubble.

Go back to 2019 prices to compare against 2011 prices.

·
Registered
M54 330i
683 Posts
I hear what you're saying but this car seems to have been kept in a living room or something. EAG would've changed any weak parts but I took a look at it in on a lift and everything seemed great, I have $5K budgeted for just in case, but so far so good, only time will tell. The seller gave me service records and the original window sticker
My last E46 M3 had 38K miles and the Vanos went out shortly after I bought it, so your theory does have some merit, just don't agree with your extreme.
Almost everyone will pay $12K for a 33K E46, when they can turn around and sell it for $40K rather quickly.
They can't buy a car at 12k and turn around and sell it for $40k unless they're scamming someone. You paid 35k in an inflated market, and after you put 5K into it you could sell it again for $30-35k as long as the market hasn't collapsed yet, which is coming.

But what you did, buying at a price you're willing to pay and that you can afford, with 5k set aside for maintenance, is the right thing to do. Good job with that, you're wiser than most, even if you are willing to pay more in an inflated market. Because you can afford it.

And sounds like it's garage kept, but still keep in mind that rubber does not last, it deteriorates after about 5-10 years. That's why you never buy used tires, and make sure to check the tire manufacturing date when buying new tires.

But you have 5k set aside, so you should be good. And you got service records, nice. Congrats on your new (to you) M3!

·
Registered
2006 325Ci M56 5MT 2004 M3 6MT
1,093 Posts
I think this was a great price at around 35K. I do agree there is used car price bubble currently, used car prices will drop, but I believe only for standard cars.
I believe enthusiast cars will retain value going forward.
We're at the end of internal combustion engines, there will never be any new cars that will feel the same as before.
E30 M3's rose in value before pandemic, so did 911's, I think E46M3, E9X M3 will be in the same boat for the NA nostalgia, F80 G80 will be last crazy HP Turbo cars BMW will produce.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Indeed, i know this from experience. My 2005 E61 was what i thought going to be a good buy as it had reasonably low miles for a diesel. However as you say sitting around isnt good and perishes all the rubbers, so lots of parts that needed replacing. Sometimes its better to buy one thats been used and well cared for to avoid this. None the less still interesting.

Did you see the 2001 Cab with like 950 miles on it, that cant be good the engine internal are surely better when used.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts