BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Noob here and hoping I'm posting in the correct place. Just recently picked up a 2002 325xi and had to replace the water pump, the old pump had a bearing failure. I live in Vegas and therefore deal with 100+ degree days. The car ran fine for a week and then one afternoon started overheating. I limped it home keeping it out of the red by running the heat(it was 105 out that day so not exactly fun) and weirdly keeping the RPM's up kept temps down. When I made it home I checked coolant levels, re-bled the system, checked all connection, and couldn't find any issues. The next day the car ran great, no overheating, I was in stop and go traffic, sat idling for 20 min, went several miles on the highway, no issues. Several days later it started to overheat again so I parked it, let it cool overnight. Next day no issues again...

Any ideas what to check? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Maybe not much of a help, but I had my car with fully refreshed cooling system (new radiator, pump, hoses, tank, belts, tensioners, properly bled) going over 105 celsius because my friend managed to spill coolant on new belt, after cleaning it and letting it sit overnight - no problem ever since. Check if belt is slipping\it somehow gets in contact with coolant, that would explain normal operation on higher RPM.

·
Registered
2005 BMW 325xi
213 Posts
my gut feeling there is air trapped in the cooling system,how long did you bleed the car for ???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my gut feeling there is air trapped in the cooling system,how long did you bleed the car for ???
I’ve bled the system twice now. I thought trapped air might be the culprit also so I looked online how to bleed it correctly but maybe I’m not. Any suggestions on what to look for?

·
Registered
2005 BMW 325xi
213 Posts
do not start the vehicle, key on accessory,heat all the way up and fan speed on low,I'm assuming the expansion tank is full of coolant , open up the bleeder valve let the coolant circulate and watch the bleeder screw to ensure all the trapped air is coming out it may take awhile to clear any air in the system...............give that a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts