E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just signed up for this forum today and can use some advise. I currently do not own an E46 BMW of any sorts. I have a first generation M3 and a roundie 2002. My main daily driver is a Toyota Tacoma. I am going to sell the Tacoma because I do not want anymore car payments. I love the truck but sometimes you just have to make some sacrifices.

So that leads me to this forum. I want something AWD and I love BMW's. I may be interested in a E46 325Xi wagon. I also want a 6spd manual, no automatics. I have a few questions since you all are the experts with the E46!

1. What should I watch out for when purchasing an E46? Are there any known problems, such as waterpump failures (Like with the E36)?

2. What is the average price for an E46 325Xi wagon with around 50k miles?

3. Is it hard to find one with a 6-spd manual?

4. Any other advise you can give?

I am more than likely going to be looking in January after I sell my Tacoma. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Sash

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
the difference for xi is the front axles, the rest is the same as regular E46.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The manual in the wagon is 5 speed. It's rare whether in RWD or AWD. It is very hard to find a manual with 50K miles, but if you could it would probably be at least $15K if it was pristine. You will want to have it checked out before buying - subframe, cooling system, and the rest of the car. AWD has a lot more wear items than RWD.

Set up searches in Autotrader and ebay and they will email you whenever one comes on the market.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you just referring to it being an all wheel drive?

I guess I should ask what should I watch out for when purchasing an E46 BMW then?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The manual in the wagon is 5 speed. It's rare whether in RWD or AWD. It is very hard to find a manual with 50K miles, but if you could it would probably be at least $15K if it was pristine. You will want to have it checked out before buying - subframe, cooling system, and the rest of the car. AWD has a lot more wear items than RWD.

Set up searches in Autotrader and ebay and they will email you whenever one comes on the market.
Sounds like pretty standard BMW items to watch out for.

How is the reliability with the E46? My father had a 1998 328is, automatic, and sold with with 320k on the odometer. The thing was still going and had the original auto trans. I was highly impressed with that car.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Sounds like pretty standard BMW items to watch out for.

How is the reliability with the E46? My father had a 1998 328is, automatic, and sold with with 320k on the odometer. The thing was still going and had the original auto trans. I was highly impressed with that car.
just like all machines, it needs maintenance. reliability really is a relative term.
people like me that cant stand any weird noises or small leaks will do a lot of maintenance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool. Thanks for all the replies. As I get closer to making the final decision, I will more than likely have a few more questions!

Sash K

·
Registered
38 Posts
Poor reliability in all Xi's, if you can do maintenance and repairs it isn't too bad, but if you opt for the dealership repairs it will be very expensive option. Problem areas include: water pump, emissions ( smog pump & valve), sunroof issues, suspension woes (lower control arm & bushings, shocks & broken rear springs) , front axles and lots of rust issues in northeast. Parts are relatively inexpensive hence DIY really saves you a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts