BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Nintendo Chalmers
1,983 Posts
Damn, thought it was gonna be one for the 330. Looks like the GruppeM exhaust. Then again, I wouldn't really know. :tongue:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've seen numerous posts on titanium systems for this car....the last one I saw showed a nearly identical picture.

What blows me away is that few people ask about the hp.

Working for an exhaust company and watching our development process, I learned many things. i.e., the multiple bends used in such configurations may look cool and engineered, but can rob hp. For every bend you put in the system, its' like adding 3 feet of pipe...both have the same affect on cfm.

Of further interest is the piping size...bigger is NOT better, especially on naturally aspirated motors. Going bigger on the pipe almost always means necking the tube down inside the muffler.

Even the number, spacing and sizing of the tiny holes inside the core of the muffler affect the sound and performance.

Thus far, our tests have shown that the louder we make the car, the more low end torque we lose. A temporary stainless system is on my M3, using a single, custom built muffler, just like you'd see on the Saleen S7. Gave me a modest 9 hp at the wheels and 4 lb ft of torque.

The previous Supersprint system gave me a little more than 6hp.

Sound is nearly identical on both, and the rasp is still there....which I hate.

Titanium is very cool, due to its' lightweight design, but what if the system gave no hp? Would price matter more then?

This will. be an interesting analysis....we'll be watching closely.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i think that highline product is just biting off GruppeM. they said that they use the same supplier as GruppeM. the new brand smells a little fishy.

·
Im The Man
1,263 Posts
If you look at the pics they look exact. Someone would have to go to extreme lengths to copy it that perfect. I mean even the number of welds, the placement of the welds, hangars, brackets are EXACTLY the same. Its obvious they are same as gruppe.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,962 Posts
that picture looks like a double for

the one use in the group buy for the gruppe m exhaust for e-46
model m3. i can't tell the difference. something must be up with that co.
bobm3 ;) ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts