E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get a set of OEM, or a set of Koni FSD for about the same price-- $600 or so.

I love the stock handling, but if I can make it better than why not, right? Just don't want to make it worse.

Will be leaving everything else OEM.

Opinions? (I don't know sh!t about suspensions)

P.s. -- either way I go, the ride height WILL NOT be affected, right??

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
If you have been happy with the stock suspension, why mess with it? At least when you're done, you know you'll still be happy with it. If you make a change, well, maybe you'll like it and maybe you won't.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FSD's will slightly lower the car. For less money you can get new struts and control arms:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...on-kit-for-e46-3-series-1999-2005-non-xi.aspx
Well, that's the ones I've been looking at, actually. Now, please excuse my ignorance, but since I have a ZHP, the control arms will be a direct replacement for mine (no advantage). And they aren't a normal wear-and-tear item (should not need replacing), correct? From what i understand, the control arm bushings might, but the kit does not include those. I know With the kit I get more stuff, but can I even use it/need it versus getting better shocks?

·
Registered
13 Posts
How many miles are on your control arms? I have a ZHP, did my bushings about 2 months ago and the control arms were flopping all over the place. My car has 78k on in it. I got around to replacing the control arms yesterday and they were most definitely shot!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many miles are on your control arms? I have a ZHP, did my bushings about 2 months ago and the control arms were flopping all over the place. My car has 78k on in it. I got around to replacing the control arms yesterday and they were most definitely shot!
Really...hmmm.
I will have to check them (control arms) out. Time to break out the bentleys to find out how!! Lol

Well maybe the kit is gonna be my best bet then after-all.

Oh, almost 58k on the clock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's really not that hard if you are at all mechanically inclined. Its just 2 nuts that hold the arm in place and the 2 bolts that hold the bushings. Just spray the crap out of the nuts with penetrating fluid and they should come off. Keep in mind there is a slot for an allen key on top of the bolts for the control arms so you can keep it in place while you are getting the nuts off. I sat there like an idiot for about 10 minutes turning a nut yesterday when i discovered the entire bolt was moving with the nut. Then get a $10 pickle fork to bang the thing out. The ones nearest the tire take some force to get out so use a 3lb mini sledge. I've never done it before and it took me about 4 hours. I could probably do it in about 2 now. Good luck!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sat there like an idiot for about 10 minutes turning a nut yesterday when i discovered the entire bolt was moving with the nut.
:lmao: that's funny as hell!

Thanks for the info. I need to see if the shocks that come with that kit are the same as mine. If so, I think that's the best way for me to go. it'll give me most of what I'll need. I am very mechanically inclined, just not that experienced with suspensions.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts