BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,100 Posts
I did try to pull the old ones out more and it does not look like they are supposed to. When compressed the old ones still extend out again by themselves
If those are Biltein 22-139931 and 22-139948 then you have the right shock.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If those are Biltein 22-139931 and 22-139948 then you have the right shock.
These are Bilstein 22-103109
Got them from ECS Tuning and it said that they fit my 330i and that they are for standard suspension

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,100 Posts
These are Bilstein 22-103109
Got them from ECS Tuning and it said that they fit my 330i and that they are for standard suspension
That's correct then. 22-103093 and 22-103109 for the standard suspension.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The original SACHS strut has an internal rebound spring, which is why it is shorter. When you try to pull out the SACHS strut you are compressing the internal spring. The rebound spring reduces body roll and improves handling. The Bilsteins do not have a rebound spring, which is why they are taller. If the car came with rebound springs from factory, you should only install equivalent parts that have rebound springs, otherwise you will compromise the handling of the car.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
It's hard to imagine std is that much longer than sport. What happens when you pull on the old one?

·
Registered
E46 320d touring 2002
56 Posts
Read the stiker on your old strut and then look at this:
To identify your suspension

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
The body of the struts are the same, so the piston of the old one does not come out all of the way. I think the piston is stuck.

·
Registered
940 Posts
No need to worry. I swapped my old OEM (sport?) struts for Bilstein B8. And I can confirm that the OEM sport struts are incredibly short. No worries about this. Only problem is that you need to compress the springs REALLY hard to get the OEM strut loose. But this is already out of the way in your case :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The original SACHS strut has an internal rebound spring, which is why it is shorter. When you try to pull out the SACHS strut you are compressing the internal spring. The rebound spring reduces body roll and improves handling. The Bilsteins do not have a rebound spring, which is why they are taller. If the car came with rebound springs from factory, you should only install equivalent parts that have rebound springs, otherwise you will compromise the handling of the car.
i can't imagine getting the spring back on the old one. Surely it must come out more.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i can't imagine getting the spring back on the old one. Surely it must come out more.
No, that's the correct idle height for the piston. I installed new SACHS struts back in September. I got the springs on just fine. Here's a pic of the parts I installed.

Like I said, the OEM struts have rebound springs. Aftermarket dampers do not have rebound springs.

You can read more about rebound springs the PDF I attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The rebound spring reduces body roll and improves handling.
err, no. It limits spring travel, so as to produce understeer after a certain amount of body roll.
It also softens the suspension travel limit, so the understeer comes on more gradually.

You get more grip with 4 tires on the pavement than 3. So since there's a lot of spring pressure and travel left
when the damper starts to lift the wheel, front grip is reduced. It may reduce body roll slightly,
but the reduction of grip from all that weight transfer to the outer,
heavily- loaded wheel far outweighs any benefit of roll reduction.

The limit spring also softens the crash when you drop a wheel into a pothole.

In the US, I thought all 330's got sport suspension. Or was that just the 2- door 330's?
Either way, the springs are different, and I thought that the shorter strut always had
the sport spring, with the non- sport getting the longer dampers and non- sport spring.

t

Reactions: hurls

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Oh, the old Zuganschlagsfeder! Now I understand. I've only done the rears so this is new for me. Thanks. Nice looking pile of parts!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
In the US, I thought all 330's got sport suspension. Or was that just the 2- door 330's?
Either way, the springs are different, and I thought that the shorter strut always had
the sport spring, with the non- sport getting the longer dampers and non- sport spring.

t
No, only the coupes and convertibles, in 2002 and on cars. Sedans got comfort suspension unless specced for ZHP or ZSP packages.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Does the coil spring pull the piston rod out as it expands during install? I'm still amazed that teh spring will collapse to that height. Just curious. I don't like spring compressors.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,705 Posts
Rebound spring or no, the Bilstein B4s are a viable and commonly used replacement strut. The difference between standard and sport suspension ride height is about 1/2 inch or so roughly speaking, so that would not account for such an extreme difference in strut piston length as shown in OP's picture.

I was under the impression that all 330i after a certain point came with the sport suspension without it being listed as an "option". Not exactly sure when that cutoff was.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts