E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 2000 323Ci coupe, and am looking to replace the shocks when I get new summer tires in about a month.

1) I have the stock (sport) springs on the car, and want to keep them if possible as I have no interest in lowering the car (too many mega potholes and speedbumps around NYC area). If I go with Bilsteins, is the right shock the HDs or the Sport shocks? Will the Bilstein Sports work with the stock BMW sport springs?

2) What else should I replace as well? I'm guessing the rear shock mounts. Anything else suggested?

Just for reference, I've got about 75,000 miles on it. Only suspension work done prior to this was new front control arms at around 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
my understanding is that if you're leaving in the stock springs, you want the bilstein HD's, even if the stock springs are sport springs

·
Registered
61 Posts
my understanding is that if you're leaving in the stock springs, you want the bilstein HD's, even if the stock springs are sport springs
That's my understanding as well... my previous mechanic (note: previous) recommended sport for me in the same scenario... (replacing just the rear at that point). Mike Miller (BMW CCA) and my current mechanic (also a BMC CCA tech advisor) tell me that was wrong. I'm putting HD in front, but my mechanic says it's not worth replacing the sports in the rear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts