BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic is in the middle of replacing a bunch of stuff on my car and just called me and said the Meyle RTABs I gave him "popped off" or something after the installation, during the test drive. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be and what needs to be done to correct this? This guy has done a lot of these installs so I believe him when he says something isn't right... is there a special procedure to follow when installing the Meyle RTABs versus the OEM?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, he said they seemed like they weren't quite the right size, that the rear end felt like it was washing out during the test drive, and that they "fell out." I was under the impression that the bolt that goes through them is to bolt the bushing to some other component (and not to bolt the bushing itself to the control arm), and that the bushing itself stays attached to the control arm because they're basically forced in there. This is the only way I can see them "falling out" due to somehow being too small making any sense.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
ya that doesn't make any sense. If it was the wrong part he should have been smart enough to not even attempt installing it. They can pop/fall off unless it entirely ripped out, which I don't think would happen. I'd ask for pictures, or go check it out immediately...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The part numbers on the packaging were as follows:

373 06045 500
33 32 1 097 009 MY
300 333 2104/HD

They physically look like the correct parts AFAIK. The vendor I got 'em from is giving me a refund and having me send them back to make sure there wasn't a bad batch or anything.

Here's what they looked like in the packaging before installation:

The guy doing the installation was the master tech at the largest independent BMW shop in the county before starting up his own shop, so I would assume there's no way he attempted installation with parts which were obviously incorrect. The guy is just going to throw OEM RTABs on there tomorrow because I need my car in drivable condition as soon as possible, but this is just weird. What do you guys think? Was there ever any kind of a rear control arm change similar to the change from 60mm to 66mm bushings and carriers on the front control arms? I hope I don't get some kind of a "funny" phone call tomorrow about the OEM bushings doing the same thing...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the mechanic called today and confirmed that the issue did not persist when using the OEM bushings. He of course saved the presumably defective Meyle bushings for me so I can take some pics of them to post here and send 'em back for refund.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I got the defective bushings back from my mechanic today when I picked up the car, and here's what it looks like after further examination of them by myself:

a) the two bushings are slightly different from one another
b) both bushings were slightly too small, resulting in neither of them making full contact with the control arm

Pics:

As you can see, the end of the part number on the bushings themselves is different between the two and one of the bushings has a thick bit of rubber around the hole the bolt passes through whereas the other has very little. I would say it was a simple packaging defect but that doesn't explain the fact that they both have part numbers applicable to the E46 on them, yet neither of them stayed in. The installation of the OEM ones went fine as mentioned above. Weird.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had a few reports of this problem and have already communicated my concerns to MEYLE Germany on this issue. I will ask them for an update on the situation and post it when I get a reply.

If any other technicians have date codes on the lower right hand corner of the MEYLE label it would be helpful in tracking the batch with the problem. The date code is a 4 digit code that looks like for example 24F6. For now I suggest you do what is necessary to insure the bushings you choose to install are of the correct diameter. Some of the technicians that I have spoken with have reported that when the MEYLE bushing was installed it went in too easy.

Meyleman

·
Registered
8 Posts
33 32 1 097 009 / 300 333 2104/HD Trailing Arm Bushing sliding back out after installation.

After receiving my problem reports during the month of July, MEYLE decided not to ship more of the part number to the stocking WD's. All open PO's were placed on back order and a new production run will not be available for about 2 weeks (Mid Nov.). I doubt that any other the new batch with be available before the end of the year anywhere since a majority of the orders are shipped via sea freight. All the warehouse distributors have been contacted and informed of the delivery delay and asked of they would like to have the standard (non-HD) version instead 300 333 2104 (with out the HD at the end).

If any of the shops or retail customers wish to contact me directly, please feel free to do so at [email protected]
please use the Subject:RTAB HD Failure.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, thanks for the update. This whole experience has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth about Meyle's quality control. The products are great when they're right, but this little incident cost me just barely enough money that I'm iffy about using their stuff in the future, even though this has been a really rare occurrence. I can definitely see why some mechanics only like to use genuine OEM parts now. I mean, when was the last time you heard of manufacturing errors with OEM bushings? No jokes about the issues with wear and longevity with the OEM parts in this case, please. ;)

Thankfully, my mechanic is a badass and only charged me $75 extra for having to do the install a second time. I'd be pretty furious if I had to pay full labor rates to correct this ****up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts