BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find new rotors cheap. I would prefer to get Cross Drilled either Zimmerman or Brembo. Does anyone know a place in So cali I can find them for the best possible price. Hook ups are welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
Cross drilled rotors decrease your braking power under non-track circumstances and are prone to premature failure.

If you still want them, whatever.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't heard that. But thanks for the information I'll keep it in mind when I'm looking at the prices. Hopefully someone can hook me up in the area.

·
Movin On Up
615 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Cross drilled rotors decrease your braking power under non-track circumstances and are prone to premature failure.

mmm i was thinking about getting a set of brembo's to replace oem rotors is this really not a good idea?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never heard that cross drilled are worse for street driving. I've only heard improved braking. But if i'm wrong let me know thanks peeps.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:

:confused: What are you talking about? Did you just say that just to say it? Or do you have credible sources for that statement?

Educate me here. Perhaps I just didn't know. I thought heat dissapation properties and the fact that the roters cool faster was an advantage that cros drilled roters had on all driving levels. Sheesh, I could be wrong, but I gotta be brutally honest with you... what you're saying sounds absurd.:confused:

Seriously, I am very interested to know why you said that and what your sources are since I am in the market too.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RRRize said:

:confused: What are you talking about? Did you just say that just to say it? Or do you have credible sources for that statement?

Educate me here. Perhaps I just didn't know. I thought heat dissapation properties and the fact that the roters cool faster was an advantage that cros drilled roters had on all driving levels. Sheesh, I could be wrong, but I gotta be brutally honest with you... what you're saying sounds absurd.:confused:

Seriously, I am very interested to know why you said that and what your sources are since I am in the market too.
Yea I agree cause through all the research I've done on Big Brake Kits and Cross Drilled Rotors I have heard nothing but improved braking from them. I also would like to hear the reason why such a statement was made. Also anywhere to get them cheaper than tire rack or renntech I'm talkin hook up people! LEt me know thanks

·
Help me Help you!
957 Posts
Well one thing with the cross drilled rotors is that it is more prone to cracking. Cross drilled are more of a cosmetic mod.

I wouldnt dispute what Nick325xit says since he does tons of autocrossing and would be familar with brake setups.

I would personally go for the slotted ones as opposed to the cross drills.

Try a search on cross drills and i am sure there are numerous discussions on it.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Hmmm, let's think about this ... Euro e46 M3 uses cross drilled and so does Porsche :eeps:

They are more prone to cracking with extreme use though ;)

Most race teams now use gas slotted, but they'll eat your pads more.

Everything has it's pros and cons.

·
Movin On Up
615 Posts
under regualr driving conditions would the cross drilled still be prone to cracking? or is that only if used constantly for autocross and such?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
BealeAss said:
under regualr driving conditions would the cross drilled still be prone to cracking? or is that only if used constantly for autocross and such?
Probably not, unless you ride your brakes. They are higher maintenance though which is why US spec e46 M3's don't come with them.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So about that cheap price on them...anyone know a place? prefer So cal so I don't have to get them shipped cause that'e expensive. Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
///ACS330Ci said:

Probably not, unless you ride your brakes. They are higher maintenance though which is why US spec e46 M3's don't come with them.
What kind of "higher maintence" are you talking about?

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,671 Posts
Eric over at Supreme Power Parts can give u deals on Brembo and Zimmerman.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My friend got bmw oem cross drilled rotors for his m3 from Pacific BMW. I believe he paid around $700 for all 4...
They are NOT decreasing braking power under non-track circumstances and are NOT prone to premature failure.
However I noticed a little noise when brake, but not bad.
I'm getting them as soon as my stock rotors wear out.

·
A bimmer chick moderator :)
47,771 Posts
BlackBeautyJr said:
So about that cheap price on them...anyone know a place? prefer So cal so I don't have to get them shipped cause that'e expensive. Thanks
I got mine from Rennsport, all 4 for $350 + shipping...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts