E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
great news... got new rear koni adj shocks to replace the bilsteins pss9 rear shocks

first thing i noticed today was that there's an oil leaking from the bilstein shock... the shock is set to full soft.. pushing it in is relatively easy, but the shock pops right out, as if it was spring loaded.

on full stiff, i can barely push it in, which seems normal.

ok ... so the replacement koni's are 12mm dia at the top, which require new shock mounts... tckline's shock mounts are an awesome setup, but they don't fit all the way through the shock tower hole. @#[email protected]#$%!#@$%@#^%#@$%@#$ The part of the mount that fits through the tower is too thick... probably about 2 mm.... I could grind off the shock mount, but i don't wanna mess with it, especially since it might **** it up.

the old mounts don't fit the new shocks, the stock ones, also don't fit, and I don't really want them too...

I'm gonna call pete @ tckline tomorrow, see if they can hook me up with different parts...

any other recommendations welcome.

oh and something else I noticed while i had both shocks out

the koni is only rebound adjustable... compression is not adjustable... the pps9 adjusts both compression and rebound at the same time... on the softest settings, the koni is a noticeably softer than the bilstein...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
why did you get koni to replace pss9 , because im getting ready to order pss9 should i get koni instead?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just got new shocks for the rear. I heard a lot of ppl complain about leaks. I thought it was just a few isolated incidents... obviously not that isolated.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
all that you replaced was your rear shocks?and left everything else as the pss9 set up?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
i just checked bilsteins warranty and they said perfectly normal for alittle bit oil to be on strut.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
e popa said:
i just checked bilsteins warranty and they said perfectly normal for alittle bit oil to be on strut.
Yep, that is why I asked how he knew it was leaking. When I was talking to the Bilstein rep he was telling me how people always think the shocks are leaking because of that. Don't remember the reasoning but it is NOT the shock leaking.

Tim

·
Registered
212 Posts
Since Bilsteins are a high pressure gas shock, if they pop back out on their own, then they are usually still good. There's ALOT of gas pressure inside the shock, so when they blow, they blow bad.

Koni's on the other hand are a low pressure hydraulic shock. They don't pop back out on their own. You have to pull them out. It's a PITA when you set them stiff, as they're a b*tch to pull out.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MikekiM said:
Since Bilsteins are a high pressure gas shock, if they pop back out on their own, then they are usually still good. There's ALOT of gas pressure inside the shock, so when they blow, they blow bad.

Koni's on the other hand are a low pressure hydraulic shock. They don't pop back out on their own. You have to pull them out. It's a PITA when you set them stiff, as they're a b*tch to pull out.
yeah... you're talking about the ones you have to compress to adjust... I got the externally adjustable... a little more expensive, but I can adjust them while still on the car.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
e popa said:
all that you replaced was your rear shocks?and left everything else as the pss9 set up?
that was my intention, however, since it didn't work out, I put everything back the way it was

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
e popa said:
I wasn't sure if this was a problem or not. I guess it's normal.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok... i just talked to [email protected] everything is completely normal... the shock mounts are supposed not to fit loosely, so that by tightning the bolts it makes a very tight fit... it's aluminum, so it gives...

I will re-attempt this tomorrow and everything should be fine. thanks for you input, guys

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
emi323i said:

yeah... you're talking about the ones you have to compress to adjust... I got the externally adjustable... a little more expensive, but I can adjust them while still on the car.

where did you get koni's that you dont have to undo the bottom bolt to adjust?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tckline racing... they adjust from the top, using this dial that comes with the shocks.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
does it seem like its going to be to get the adjust even unlike the bilsteins and why did you change them was the ride rough?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shocks are in and everything is good...

impressions... not necessarily softer, but the new shocks dampen much better, ride is smoother... i have the impression the bilstein have worn out quite a bit

·
Registered
524 Posts
Lifetiem warranty on Blisteins, like on Koni's

I thought blisteins, like koni's offer lifetime warranty on their shocks, should they leak, you will get a replacement, no?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i sure hope so. I would like to sell the whole kit and getting new replacement shocks would fit the plan perfectly

1 - 19 of 19 Posts