BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Europrojektz East
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen any previous posts similar to this, but was curious to know what would be involved in replacing the OEM car horn with an aftermarket car horn?
My personal opinion is that the BMW OEM car horn (at least on my 323i) sounds weak compared to car horns for other non-BMW cars. Mine sounds high pitched and I'd want something lower pitched and a little louder.

Can this be done? Anyone know of good places to get aftermarket car horns?

·
Europrojektz East
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, by the way, I do understand that the BMW car horn is a dual frequency horn (both high and low sounds simultaneously) and I did read an earlier post of someone whose car horn wasn't working and sounded too high. I don't think that's the case with my car horn. I think it's working fine, I just want a lower sounding, slightly louder horn. Thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Check out Griot's Garage (www.griotsgarage.com)if you want a good quality Hella horn set - I forget what the decibel rating is, but they are pretty loud... I bought and installed a set on my Dad's conversion van year's ago and they still work good... Griot's isn't cheap, but its good quality stuff... If you are looking for cheap and or funky, check out www.jcwhitney.com... Probably get you the La Cucaracha horn for less!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Anyone rode "Back to the future: the ride" at universal studios hollywood?

remember the horn on the De Lorean?

heh heh, there's an idea.

maybe some electrically adept members can fuse a simple mp3 player, and you upload simple wav files as your horn makes electrical contact. :D :D :D

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,833 Posts
The hella horn is prolly the easiest to upgrade. If you doo some searching I've seen places both local and online that sell the airhorns from eighteen-wheelers:pimpin:

·
Registered
317 Posts
ha ha! I work for a truck company and I have some of these airhorns sitting by my desk at work. Unfortunately, they're HUGE and unless you wanna strap a couple to your roof (please NO), it's probably best to stick to something smaller.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Horn ideas

Nah, I say you go out and take the horns used on the diesel heavy-duty train locomotives. Assuming your lights do not dim in the car, you stand a nice healthy chance of peeling the paint off the car in front of you and blowing the windows out while you're at it. Now THAT is a way to get someone's attention.

Grin.

·
Europrojektz East
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry guys, I didn't get a chance to check the replies to this post until now.

Yeah, all I'm looking for is a horn that's a little deeper sounding and maybe a little louder than my OEM BMW car horn. I don't want anything too loud or deep like a truck's horn, nor do I want the La Cuccaracha horn (though my brother jokingly said for me to look at the Dukes of Hazzard's car horn).

A good example of a car horn I like is what's on the Toyota Camry (lower pitched than the BMW car horn). Also, does anyone know what the decibel level of BMW's car horn is?
Also is it a straightforward task of replacing car horns (i.e. pop one out and plug the new one in) or can I only use specific types of car horns for BMWs?

·
Registered
184 Posts
It all boils down to the location of the factory horn(s) and how they are mounted... If they are in a tight spot, and you want to install your new horn in the same location, you'll be limited in your selection... If you want to keep your original horns and add a new horn (behind the grill or whatever) you have more options... I rigged up my dad's conversion van with a switch, so he can select his wimpy factory horn (for a polite beep) or the Hellas to get attention... (He proudly told me that someone veered off the road one day when he blew the Hellas at them, they were so surprised by the sound...) IMHO, the Hellas are the way to go, since they are good quality, loud, two-tone (so if you really like the low tone only, just run it) and German, so they will probably plug right in (they have the regular spade connectors)... Bosch and Hella are usually OEM on German cars...

·
Registered
40 Posts
my friend got an aftermarket horn for his tacoma truck... it sound so *****. it really makes me laugh when he honks cuz it sounds like his horn is dying.

be careful which one you get, you dont wanna sound like a dying squirrel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
dont use your horn. Ferraris, lambos, and porsche have really really high pitched, bad sounding horns. So you have to yell various profanities at people instead..i guess they decided horns werent classy enough...but I am looking for a horn that plays the Mexican hat dance if anyone knows,pm me

·
Registered
184 Posts
Honestly, you need to look at J.C. Whitney if you want a horn that plays the "Mexican Hat Dance" or "Dixie" or whatever... They even have ones you can program yourself, play your own tunes... You'd be surprised what they have... www.jcwhitney.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts