E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I just purchased a 2002 325i with 118xxx miles. I noticed that it smelled like burnt oil but there was no puddle underneath the car. I got under the car and saw that the bottom driver side had some fresh oil. I am going to put it up on the lift this weekend and check exactly where its coming from. I figure that it would be from the VCG but you dont see any oil from the top. I also am getting about 16mpg 100% city driving. That seems kind of low so I was thinking of chainging the fuel Filter, air filter and doing an oil change over the weekend.

Does that Gas mileage seem normal?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Depending on your right foot, the mileage will vary.. But overall, 16 sounds low.

Also oil on the drivers side usually isn't your VCG (usually)... But it's probably still leaking on the "header" causing the smell. The drivers side leak would be more of the ccv.

Best bet, clean it up and get the oil off of it as much as possible. Then look to find where the fresh oil is.

Good luck and congrats on your new to you ride!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.