E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got these damn things installed. They were a big time pain in the ass and finding the right screw was a nightmare! But, they're in now and I love them. Ill probably put some eggcrate lining in them so that whatever I put in there does not rattle around. Oh and thanks to jonv325ci for his nearly unlimited help :thumbup:

AdamR

Attachments

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You talking about the width adjustable seat backs? I think you are.... there are little air bags (I think) that compress and decompress in the side bolsters to "strap" you in more. I love them :thumbup:

AdamR

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
5,358 Posts
how the heck did you get the screws in?!? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

mine is sitting at home since I can't install the damn screws!

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
B, whats your problem with the screws? I didnt get any with my kit, I instead went out and bought them. What you want are

Self tapping 1.00 pitch, 1/2" M6 phillips with pan head. I could not find these at any hardware store so I had to scavange them from my girlfriends dad. Even those were too big. So, what I did was first screw them until the resistance went away. Then I used a bolt cutter to cut two threads off of the bottom.

Here are what they looked like pre bolt cutter

AdamR

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
digitalgm..if you're interested in buying the OEM first aid kit. Please contact steve diamond at [email protected] and as for the screws i bought 1/2 14x with a socket head. sorry no pics, but you don't have to cut any thread off from the screw.

hope this helps.

·
Beware of pwner
1,714 Posts
Looks good!

I ordered mine from the dealer, I told them it was supposed to come with self-taping screws. So, I made them try about every screw, till we found three that works.

The rear screw is bigger, than the front two.

E

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can always buy an M6 tap, tap the three holes, and then use any M6 machine screw. I was able to fit a t-handle and tap under there without having to unbolt the seat.

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
6,696 Posts
I don't understand why everyone has such a difficult time installing the first aid kit. It didn't take me that long at all.

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@bavarian323 : well the brackets and boxes for both seats will set you back under 20$USD. Quite worth it. I dont have the actual kit that goes in there because its backordered but my plan is to put the kit in the passanget side one and eggcrate foam or something like that in the driver side one.

@ralph : I thought about just doing an M6 tap but I didnt have the tool necessary.

AdamR

·
Registered
272 Posts
like vinny said..it didn't take long at all. just finding the right screw

14x 1/2 inch...that's it....and all three are the same size.

the first aid kit itself contains bandages, bandaid, scissors..etc. and it's oem....can only be bought in Canada or Europe

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you want the kit, I would suggest going to www.eurobuyers.com and ordering from him. He should provide everything: The Box, mounting bracket, three screws (self-tapping) and the FirstAid Contents.

I bought the kit used from someone at Bimmerfest and love it. With the correct screws, the install is simple.

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
5,358 Posts
mine came with the right bolts... it's just a b!tch to screw them in... I can't even get them in the holes w/o the mounting bracket!!! :yikes:

·
Registered
272 Posts
B....maybe your screws are too big...go to home depot and buy
14x 1/2 inch self tapping or sheet metal screws.... I used an adjustable screwdriver..hopefully you have one or can borrow one...will make the install alot easier.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts