BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm an E53 owner (2003 X5 with 3.0) trying to get my PA soft working. I have used several threads on this forum for helping getting it working once, and so I'm posting here to try to get your expertise.

I bought the $14 serial OBD adapter off ebay, and I did get it working ONCE with my Windows 10 laptop using the ftdi drivers. (Lots of threads here which helped.) I was able to go online with the car and see real time data, and even performed a dash light test.

The second time I tried it, it never worked again.

When I connect the cable and open BMW scanner, if I try to ID the car it says "Connection failure: cannot connect to IKE" and then "cannot connect to EWS" and then stops there. If I double click on any module, it just takes a minute and says "not found."

It's different from when I open BMW scanner when the cable plugged into the laptop but not the car, or disconnected entirely from the laptop: when I do that, it just says "hardware not ready" when I try to ID the car.

This tells me that the laptop is talking to the adapter, but cannot talk to the car.

Under Settings, it has a green square next to "Device Drivers are installed" and "BMW Scanner Adapter is plugged in"

When I remove the cable from my laptop the second square turns yellow.

This also indicates (to my inexperienced self) that it is talking to the serial adapter, and has the correct drivers.

I've checked all of my fuses for the diag connector to no avail. I'm hoping someone else can point me in the right direction for something I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance!

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,708 Posts
Honestly I have seen several of these Chinese knockoffs failing. For $14, just grab another one and see if the cable itself is faulty. I seems like you have loaded all the correct FTDI drivers for Windows 10. There is a member here that offers his time to remote into your computer and he may be able to help. Hopefully he will respond to your post.

*edit* I also found this on another thread, check your computer blocking the program.

So I had a little difficulty getting this installed on my new win10 laptop (replacing the old win7 machine that I had had it running on before) and was puzzled by the fact that the steps here had worked in past but not now. Came back to it just now and caught this time around that Microsoft Security Essentials was flagging PA Soft as being a Trojan source and isolating the program. I knew that it had come from a reliable source so I excluded it and it runs fine now.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,177 Posts
Honestly I have seen several of these Chinese knockoffs failing. For $14, just grab another one and see if the cable itself is faulty. I seems like you have loaded all the correct FTDI drivers for Windows 10. There is a member here that offers his time to remote into your computer and he may be able to help. Hopefully he will respond to your post.

*edit* I also found this on another thread, check your computer blocking the program.

So I had a little difficulty getting this installed on my new win10 laptop (replacing the old win7 machine that I had had it running on before) and was puzzled by the fact that the steps here had worked in past but not now. Came back to it just now and caught this time around that Microsoft Security Essentials was flagging PA Soft as being a Trojan source and isolating the program. I knew that it had come from a reliable source so I excluded it and it runs fine now.
That was my post and in that case it wasn't a matter of PA Soft not communicating, it was PA Soft not running at all. I don't think that's the case here. He's probably got a bad cable.

EDIT: Assuming that the ignition is on that is. OP isn't clear about that and most modules can't be read if ignition is off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replies. Yeah, I tried with the key in all three positions as well as the engine running and off.

I'll start with a new cable.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,093 Posts
Need to isolate where the problem is.

Does a different OBD adapter or cable and software work with the car?

Does your cable and the BMW Scanner 1.4 software work using a Windows 7 laptop?

Have you tried an older driver version from ftdichip.com?

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,093 Posts
Man I love this forum. Both people I referenced without unmasking jumped right in to offer assistance. :thumbsup:
Yup, we have a good thing going on here. So many people comment how helpful this forum is and how much time, money, and frustration it's saved them. In the words of the founder, tim330i, "don't dick this up!" :clap:

Regarding BMW Scanner 1.4, I always recommend folks buy the cable from xcar360 as it has the authentic FTDI chip, so there's less chance of driver issues.
https://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-1-4-0-car-diagnostic-interface-tool-code-reader.html

Windows 10, depending on the build version, seems to be quite particular about the driver used. If Device Manager shows a driver error, try downloading and installing older versions from ftdichip.com

Also, have a look at our How to Install BMW Scanner 1.4 thread.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=942966

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Balidawg. Yes, I used your installation thread extensively to get it to work on my Windows 10 laptop. And I did indeed have it working, and read codes and performed a dash light test with it connected.I will purchase the linked adapter if you guys agree that is likely the issue.

Here are the symptoms I am experiencing when I now hook up the laptop to the car:

When I connect the cable and open BMW scanner, if I try to ID the car it says "Connection failure: cannot connect to IKE" and then "cannot connect to EWS" and then stops there. If I double click on any module, it just takes a minute and says "not found."

It's different from when I open BMW scanner when the cable plugged into the laptop but not the car, or disconnected entirely from the laptop: when I do that, it just says "hardware not ready" when I try to ID the car.

This tells me that the laptop is talking to the adapter, but cannot talk to the car.

Under Settings, it has a green square next to "Device Drivers are installed" and "BMW Scanner Adapter is plugged in"

When I remove the cable from my laptop the second square turns yellow.

This also indicates (to my inexperienced self) that it is talking to the serial adapter, and has the correct drivers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you google this error you will get a lot of hits that recommend soldering pins 7&8 together. I had the same error when I first purchased the adapter and they it worked perfectly after soldering those pins. BTW: I purchased my cable from xcar360 and could not get it to work until I bridged pins 7&8.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys, I will go plug in the laptop again in a couple of hours.

sharadnM3, I have seen that come up on google searches, but why would I need to solder pins 7&8 if it worked already? Wouldn't it have never worked in the first place if I needed to solder those pins? I can solder it later if you think that's truly the problem. Worst case I'm out my $14.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK, so device manager says for the adapter:

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

So I guess my assumption that the drivers were good is wrong. However, I have already been over this a half dozen times using the thread you referenced. I specifically thought this was a driver update issue at first, until I saw the green boxes in the BMW Scanner settings page. I did try to reinstall the correct drivers but couldn't get it to work, so I thought it was already good. What would you try next?

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,093 Posts
Thank you guys, I will go plug in the laptop again in a couple of hours.

sharadnM3, I have seen that come up on google searches, but why would I need to solder pins 7&8 if it worked already? Wouldn't it have never worked in the first place if I needed to solder those pins? I can solder it later if you think that's truly the problem. Worst case I'm out my $14.
Cold/bad solder joint?
We have seen some BMW Scanner cables that needed pins 7 and 8 soldered together because they weren’t connected when built.
Just use a multimeter to test if they are connected or not.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,093 Posts
device manager says for the adapter:

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
There are no compatible drivers for this device.
To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

What would you try next?
Try older device drivers from ftdichip.com. That usually solves the driver install failure you are seeing. You may have to go back a few versions, so check the version history there. I would try the previous version, then the previous, and so on until you find one that works.

Release notes/version history:
https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM 2 12 28 Release Info.rtf

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try older device drivers from ftdichip.com. That usually solves the driver install failure you’re seeing. You may have to go back a few versions, so check the version history there. I would try the previous version, then the previous, and so on until you find one that works.
OK, thanks for the tip. I'll try that. Should I solder the pins first or check them?

Should they have been soldered from the factory?

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,093 Posts
OK, thanks for the tip. I'll try that. Should I solder the pins first or check them?
Should they have been soldered from the factory?
Check them first. Solder if needed. Open up plastic OBD connector case and drop a solder blob where the pins connect to the circuit board.
Yes, should have been soldered at factory, usually are.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I really don't have a good answer why it would have worked for you once. Some people seem to have little to no trouble getting it up and running on both W10 and W7. I wish that were case for me. I spend untold hours trying everything in the PA Soft installation thread that is referenced here but to no avail. Probably operator error but I could never figure it out. You will need a better person than I to help you and I was only sharing what got my system up and running. It may of may not work for you. I used a small soldering gun and it was very easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check them first. Solder if needed. Open up plastic OBD connector case and drop a solder blob where the pins connect to the circuit board.
Yes, should have been soldered at factory, usually are.
I opened it up last night and pins 7 & 8 were solidly soldered together, but they were pulling the PCB apart. Definitely some cheap garbage. I am going to order the one you referenced above before I do anything else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Balidawg, just to follow up on this in case you read it.

I reinstalled the drivers, and got it to work this time. Now when I go into device manager for the USB Serial Converter, it says "This device is working properly."

I went back and resoldered pins 7 and 8, but I don't think that was the problem. I still get the same result no matter what I do. I will order the official unit tonight and see if I can get that working.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts