E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1389 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As announced today at Bimmerfest:

ESS Performance Products USA is proud to announce our TWIN SCREW supercharger system for the M52TU/M54 engines!

After 3 years of extensive research, development, and tuning, we will soon release the first and only TWIN SCREW (TS) Supercharger system for the BMW M52TU/M54 engines used in the E46 as well as the E39, E53, E60, E83, and E85 chassis.

Utilizing the latest in positive displacement compressor technology, full boost is achieved before 2,000 RPM and maintained to redline at the highest thermal efficiency possible. Combined with our extensive software tuning, this creates huge torque gains throughout the entire RPM band while maintaining stock drivability, emissions, responsiveness, and smoothness at all speeds and loads.

The systems include an ESS-spec Lysholm Technologies™ self-lubricating 1.6L Twin Screw compressor unit capable of 18+ psi boost and 470+ hp, custom cast alloy intake manifold with optional integrated ultra-efficient Laminova™ core water intercooler system, high performance CNC butterfly bypass valve, larger flow matched Bosch fuel injectors, all necessary installation hardware, detailed instructions, and full DME software reprogramming through our USA office. The stock air box and filter are retained as they proved to be the best compromise between high airflow, air filtration efficiency, and water ingestion protection. Most aftermarket cold air intakes are fully compatible.

The first two power stages (6 & 8 psi) of ESS TS kits are designed from the ground up as a Do-It-Yourself install with no grinding, cutting, or otherwise permanent modification necessary while keeping a clean OEM appearance under the hood. These systems are even easier to install than centrifugal installations. From Stage 3 on, engine and exhaust modifications are necessary to take full advantage of the system’s capabilities.

Systems are already complete and are currently in 50,000 mile durability testing. They will be available by summer 2006!

ESS Twin Screw kits will then soon follow for M52/S52 engines used in the Z3 2.8/M-Roadster/M-Coupe, E36 323/328/M3 3.2 and E39 528 based on the same Twin Screw technology.

The following images are sneak peeks including the design of the custom intake manifold with Laminova core channels and a torque comparison dyno of the M54B30 3.0 liter engine stock vs 7psi centrifugal vs 7psi Twin Screw:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
:yikes:

this looks like it's gonna be awesome! can't wait to see it. is the development based in Norway? if so i'll have to check it out :D

any price estimates?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
That's going to be amazing... Nothing like a torquey motor. I'll be in touch. Nice talking to you guys today at bimmerfest.

·
Registered
519 Posts
:drool: This should be sweet. The e36 guys are doing a lot of really nice things with the twin screw so it is nice to see it coming to the e46.

Any idea what the price is going to run?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
thats awesome news for you guys. I have heard awesome things about the E36 twin screw that AA has had out so I could only imagine how is would be on the e46. Great news for e46'ers:clap:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The prices have been set but will be revealed closer to actual release. They will be extremely competitive to currently available kits, if not better.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
:drool: :yikes: :bow: :eek:mg: :excited:
It was nice seeing you guys at Bfest... I can't wait for all these new products!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I am by no means knowledgeable in the FI field, but my understanding of a twin screw is that it bolts on as an intake manifold rather than being a standalone unit that is routed outside of the engine (no more piping going from the blower to the engine... it has VERY good throttle response)
As you can see from the dyno it makes lots of torque and it is also in full boost by 2000rpm.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Nico3k said:
I am by no means knowledgeable in the FI field, but my understanding of a twin screw is that it bolts on as an intake manifold rather than being a standalone unit that is routed outside of the engine (no more piping going from the blower to the engine... it has VERY good throttle response)
As you can see from the dyno it makes lots of torque and it is also in full boost by 2000rpm.
according to howstuffworks, which is of course by no means a FI expert source, that centrifugal blowers are the most efficient type of supercharger

comments?

also wtf isnt there hp on that dyno??!?!?!?

·
Hawaii 3.0
5,166 Posts
interesting

price?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
redronin said:
according to howstuffworks, which is of course by no means a FI expert source, that centrifugal blowers are the most efficient type of supercharger

comments?

also wtf isnt there hp on that dyno??!?!?!?
It obviusly depends on the type of blower, but generally the twin screw blowers have more adiabatic efficiency than centrifugal (70-80% vs. 60-78%).

1 - 20 of 1389 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.