E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
cowmoo32 said:
If its not a 4 door, then why even have a 3 series and 4 series? Whats the point in making a whole new series if the M version is gonna be the same as the M4?
BMW is separating the 4 and 2 door models...
2, 4, and 6 series are all 2 door version of a 4 door model
right now there's 645ci, and they'll have M6 also

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,290 Posts
I keep hearing about these naming conventions on this board, but outside of E46Fanatics, a lot of people have said that they've decided to drop that and just continue using the 3 series nomenclature, which makes a hell of a lot more sense to me. After all, it's not like the 6 series, for example, is just a two door 5 series...while the 4 series would be basically a two door 3 series.

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,290 Posts
VALMONT said:
with the 3 series having both 2 and 4 doors how does this naming convention not apply to 3ers?
Because the 3er coupe/vert is almost exactly the same car as the 3er sedan. Chassis, frame, engine, suspension, brakes, interior it's all nearly identical. Only real differences are the exterior sheet metal, which is cosmetic.

If you look at the 6, it's not just a two door 5 series. Even the dimensions are considerably different.

·
Banned
578 Posts
T_DOT_BIMMER said:
New BMW's: Odd numbers = 4 Dr......Even Numbers = 2 Door
very correct...this follow true for the ///M6 and the ///M4 and ///M2, all coupes, now the 1 series 3, 5, and 7 are all sedans, make sense...and you can't forget the E31 8 series...also a large 2 door :thumbup:

·
Registered
227 Posts
i have also heard a few times that they are dropping that adea of a 3 and 4 series and are still only gonna have a 3 series because people found it too confusting or something

·
Registered
429 Posts
20+ years of using the 3 series badging for the 2door and 4 door models, why change it now? I think the 'i' and 'Ci' are enough to seperate the sedan and coupe. Plus, M4 doesnt have the same ring that M3 does.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.