BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am proud to say I am the new owner of an 06 silver grey metallic/black leather 6MT with 28k mi. It's been a long time comin and I wanted to finally introduce myself now that I got my baby. (pics coming soon)

Ive been a member of the site for about a year now and read a lot of good info on here. This is the first car ive owned that has even had power windows :banghead:, in fact my last car didn't even have power steering :tsk: (98 saturn SL). So I am not used to all this tech/luxery.

Anyway, I have a pretty noobish question which i searched for the answer but could not find. What are the functions of the different headlights? I ask because it seems that only my xenons light up, no lights near my grills (tried all headlight settings like park, daytime, auto). None of the lights on the dash say I have any headlight issue. If anybody can give me some insight it would be greatly appreciated. (sorry for the wall-o-text btw)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I have the bi-xenons.. but when I put on high beams the xenons get REALLY bright and no other bulbs light up. At night the high beams are amazing so I have highs.. just that the xenons get brighter, is that not normal?

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
i really can't understand the question... so when you put on the high beams the section closer to the grills don't light up but the xenon section does? the xenon should get brighter when high beam is activated.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yea I have the bi-xenons.. but when I put on high beams the xenons get REALLY bright and no other bulbs light up. At night the high beams are amazing so I have highs.. just that the xenons get brighter, is that not normal?
you're fine. That's what bi-xenons are, that is, the high beams are brighter and more intensified xenons than that of the low beam xenons.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, whew at least my xenons are workin.. but that still doesnt explain why the lights that are closest to my grill (the center of the hood) DONT light up. Its almost like that part of the headlight is there for show (even though I can see a bulb in there).. No matter what light setting I put the car at they dont light up. I stood outside at night and checked every setting and button I could think of, but they never flickered on. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Ok, whew at least my xenons are workin.. but that still doesnt explain why the lights that are closest to my grill (the center of the hood) DONT light up. Its almost like that part of the headlight is there for show (even though I can see a bulb in there).. No matter what light setting I put the car at they dont light up. I stood outside at night and checked every setting and button I could think of, but they never flickered on. Anyone have any ideas?
hey man those are just basically for your daytime running lights which you obviously dont have programmed on (a dealer has to do that)...they also are your flashers...like when you pull the turn signal stock towards you they flash instead of pushing it forward to turn on you bi-xenon brights on...so go out and pull the turn signal stock towards (with the car on) you and see if they flash...they should. but if you want the lights to stay on (daytime running lights) you have to have a dealer activate that for you

hope this helps :hi:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
omg... thank you. I feel like an idiot, sorry for the noobish confusion. I had my g/f look (during the daytime) while I pulled the flashers and she didnt know what she was looking for and told me they didnt light up (I guess she thought I meant the fogs) I didnt see anything cause it was daytime, and when I did everything at night I didnt try that cause im used to it just flashing the highs (from previous cars). Anyway, thanks to all and sorry again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts