BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'03 M3 Titansilver
134 Posts
Then you gotta properly diagnose it. Did it throw out an error? Yellow cog? I had the SMG and converted just a few days ago.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah, need it plated first!
Gonna get it out for a mild spin this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
So it’s been a bit since I was last on, my black mess is no longer with us, and my red 03 was just loaded on to a flat bed in Vancouver BC enroute to Toronto Ontario!

There she goes straight under the knife, with new SS brake lines, new OEM rear struts, and a subframe reinforcement (with a pile of associates bushings.)

She is SMG, which I’m not sure how I feel about it, my last 2 were 6 speed, so we’ll see.

Anyway, happy to be back on the forums, and I’ll take lots of pics during her transformation. (Which won’t be much of a transformation at all) but still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a 2005 Imola over Cinnamon, SMG cabrio. I LOVE it!! Since 2008.
My SMG maintenance: Remove motor. Clean and scrub with a couple cans of brake clean. Check bearings, commutator and brushes. We fixed nothing. Just got rid of massive amounts of brush dust and gunk. We cleaned it and put it back. Did not even need new brushes. This was at 80k miles. You can have a GOOD shop replace the commutator, brushes and bearing if it is a really needy 12v motor. New ones are pricey.

Automatically replace the salmon relay. Have another as a spare. They are like $20. You CAN turkey baster replace the fluid. My fluid is very clean and we left it alone.
Want really really really FAST shifts? Have a competent tech install CSL SMG software. It is free ware on the net,BTW.

I use EVERY function of my SMG. Stuck in traffic Bump it over to "D" and then one or two bars on the rocker. One bar is super soft shifting. Car will take off in SECOND gear. I use 2 bars in traffic in the D mode. I use the D mode every time I have a cold car. I drive BELOW 3K RPM until oil reaches 170 degrees. Conservative, but critical for longer bearing life. The D mode really helps me keep RPM low during warm up.

If you SEE a D, that means you are in SHIFT (paddle shift) mode and if your WANT to be in D(automatic) then push the shifter to the right. That is not an intuitive display. So be aware of that. READ your SMG section in owners manual.

Critical to install a brand NEW dual mass flywheel for every clutch renewal. This saves on drive line shock. You can get them for $350 to $400. German made. Critical and often overlooked part.

I recommend some mild level of clutch upgrade from these folks. Call them or email them. South Bend Clutch | We Motivate The Shiftless

21 - 23 of 23 Posts