BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it’s been a bit since I was last on, my black mess is no longer with us, and my red 03 was just loaded on to a flat bed in Vancouver BC enroute to Toronto Ontario!

There she goes straight under the knife, with new SS brake lines, new OEM rear struts, and a subframe reinforcement (with a pile of associates bushings.)

She is SMG, which I’m not sure how I feel about it, my last 2 were 6 speed, so we’ll see.

Anyway, happy to be back on the forums, and I’ll take lots of pics during her transformation. (Which won’t be much of a transformation at all) but still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
SMG might surprise you. I went from 6spd to an Imola SMG (literally your exact same car, i have comp wheels, SS brake lines and subframe reinforcement), and it’s actually quite fun in its own right. No it isn’t 6spd, but once you get the hang of it (and yes this will t t ale some time), it will behave much like a 6spd. I recommend up shifting and THEN letting off the gas right after for a second to let the car shift; it’s smoother and she’ll be happier. On the right settings, it’s def faster than manual for shifts; usually keep mine on 4. I find that’s the best mix of shift quickness but doesn’t snap your neck.

I was very anti-SMG for a long time till I got a steal of a deal on my current car and I’m glad I didn’t listen to the haters.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I’ve def heard the haters. This deal was too good to pass up, so SMGII it is!
Worst case I can swap it, but the idea of launch control seems promising!!

I’m looking forward to giving it an honest try before I boo it.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I prefer 6sp manual because driving in Los Angeles busy FWY I can shift to neutral with engaged clutch . The result is less wear and tear on parts. SMG will require clutch disengaged every time.

Nice wheels!!

Btw, can the M3 side mirrors be folded as non-M E46, anyone?

·
Registered
1 Posts
First-time poster here. Two weeks ago, I purchased my first BMW, an Imola Red 2005 M3 convertible, SMG. The plan is to swap out to a manual, but I'll give the SMG some time first.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The N.A. Spec M3’s don’t have the option, but you can swap out the switch, and install folding motors in either side to make em work.

Plans to do that once mine arrives!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh shit, yeah, sorry. They sorta flip up manually.
My old black one they were so stiff I was worried about breaking them, but they went.

They flip in and up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The N.A. Spec M3’s don’t have the option, but you can swap out the switch, and install folding motors in either side to make em work.

Plans to do that once mine arrives!!
I want to do this with mine. Just need the mirror intervals and a new switch right? You can reuse the housings right?

My old black one they were so stiff I was worried about breaking them, but they went.

They flip in and up.
How do you do this...just push it? I’d be afraid of breaking them.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

They flip in and up.

good to know this because I was afraid breaking when trying to fold one to give more room for pulling the trash bin pass the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I want to do this with mine. Just need the mirror intervals and a new switch right? You can reuse the housings right?

I grab mine with two hands and rotate up. They rotate along the seam. If I'm door side, I pull. If I'm engine side, I push. They should rotate fairly easily.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

ECS sells the parts, as a matter of fact...

ES# 84404 (left actuator)

ES# 84405 (right actuator)

ES# 166986 mirror switch with fold button.

As far as the manual fold, it’s literally a pull back and up motion, with a bit of a twist.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ECS sells the parts, as a matter of fact...

ES# 84404 (left actuator)

ES# 84405 (right actuator)

ES# 166986 mirror switch with fold button.

As far as the manual fold, it’s literally a pull back and up motion, with a bit of a twist.

My man.

·
Registered
'03 M3 Titansilver
134 Posts
SMG might surprise you. I went from 6spd to an Imola SMG (literally your exact same car, i have comp wheels, SS brake lines and subframe reinforcement), and it’s actually quite fun in its own right. No it isn’t 6spd, but once you get the hang of it (and yes this will t t ale some time), it will behave much like a 6spd. I recommend up shifting and THEN letting off the gas right after for a second to let the car shift; it’s smoother and she’ll be happier. On the right settings, it’s def faster than manual for shifts; usually keep mine on 4. I find that’s the best mix of shift quickness but doesn’t snap your neck.

I was very anti-SMG for a long time till I got a steal of a deal on my current car and I’m glad I didn’t listen to the haters.
Unless you want to absolutely demolish the clutch do not lift. Do not lift when shifting gears with SMG. Confuses the computer. If anything make your input a constant.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I drove her home (unplated and uninsured...) and it certainly was different....
Kept dropping into neutral and I’d rev after the red light.
Def gonna take some getting used to. My Indy Mech has one (or had, he just swapped to a 6 spd) so he’ll gimme some tips.

Tell me this isn’t a good sign though ....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine never drops into neutral at red lights. Always 1st at complete stop, or just to 2nd If rolling slow. Maybe due to the Dinan SMG tune. Not sure what my first one did without it. But dont think it dropped to neutral ever. Beautiful car. Love the comp wheels.

·
Registered
'03 M3 Titansilver
134 Posts
First thing to do is to change out the salmon relay. Then it might be due to high temperatures, sometimes the sensor malfunctions and it starts dropping out of gear. Fix is a resistor. But honestly just get it converted for a piece of mind. The constant worry that you might break down is not how you're supposed to enjoy the car

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I doubt that was the issue. The car was sitting on the back of a trailer traveling across canada. Certainly far from running hot.

I’ve heard about this though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts