BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GT45 wouldn't fit in the limited space that's available in the M3. We are now trying the highly recommended Precision 8285. We have a mysterious 4,500rpm rev limiter with the ProEFI that comes and goes that we can't seem to track down. There is no on-board logger so we are trying to get some other software to work on our computer so we can look at the logs. However... we downloaded the software for $30 and that software doesn't seem to let us look at the logs. Help!! So we may switch back to the AEM again to try and get some dyno numbers out of this new turbo unless ProEFI can help us get through these issues.

Here's a picture of the new monster turbo :) We are told we should be able to see 1100rwhp with this bad bay.

Chris.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
:drool:

·
Registered
538 Posts
ohhh s*it :woot:

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Sounds like the same mysterious rev limiter that Chad and I had. Are you running the NGK Racing Plugs? Try swaping them with the Denso Iridiums ... that solved the mystery (for me atleast). I'm also refering to the AEM though, not the ProEFI. Although with the NGK Racing plugs I had the same problem with ProEFI as I did on the AEM (the strange rev limiting issue).

Can't wait to see this thing on the track! Screw the dyno.. strap that bad boy up and bring it to the track! You're bound to do low 10's with that thing! :p

·
Registered
238 Posts
Do ProEFI control the VANOS?

I belive PPF had the same issue with their 977whp M3 when they had stock DME to control the VANOS.

It solved by switching over the VANOS to ViPec.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the same mysterious rev limiter that Chad and I had. Are you running the NGK Racing Plugs? Try swaping them with the Denso Iridiums ... that solved the mystery (for me atleast). I'm also refering to the AEM though, not the ProEFI. Although with the NGK Racing plugs I had the same problem with ProEFI as I did on the AEM (the strange rev limiting issue).

Can't wait to see this thing on the track! Screw the dyno.. strap that bad boy up and bring it to the track! You're bound to do low 10's with that thing! :p
I wish it was that easy. We've gone through 4 sets of Denso Irridiums. Not cheap. Our vehicle speed indicates 255mph or 0mph in the ProEFI. This pared with the traction control has been putting the car into a weird state that causes it to flood the car and foul the plugs. We think we resolved that by swapping DMEs. The car won't run long enough now to do many dyno pulls. It works for a bit then has a rev limiter that won't go away until you turn the car off an on. Then it works for a bit then stops working.

Chris.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do ProEFI control the VANOS?

I belive PPF had the same issue with their 977whp M3 when they had stock DME to control the VANOS.

It solved by switching over the VANOS to ViPec.
The ProEFI does not control the Vanos. It relies on the DME to be happy to keep the cams in the correct position. I've seen some service engine soon lights that once they come on, the cams get put into the wrong position and the car barely idles at 14 in. I'm hoping to resolve this all very soon.

Chris.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Still having the OBDII connection? Have a look if there are any VANOS error codes..?

I got DME to control my cams, but with some issues.. Sometimes I got some VANOS error codes that puts the VANOS in some kind of "limp home" mode.
Pretty sure PPF had the same issue, with cold engine everything was running just fine, the issues started after a while.

Send Andreas Arthursson an E-mail, they had their issues all sorted out..

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still having the OBDII connection? Have a look if there are any VANOS error codes..?

I got DME to control my cams, but with some issues.. Sometimes I got some VANOS error codes that puts the VANOS in some kind of "limp home" mode.
Pretty sure PPF had the same issue, with cold engine everything was running just fine, the issues started after a while.

Send Andreas Arthursson an E-mail, they had their issues all sorted out..

[email protected]pf.com
Exactly. The car starts up and lets me get about 3-4 miles, then it runs like crap. By the time I get back the plugs are toast. Yes, there are vanos codes, but when we run the HPF/AEM the car runs just fine so we can't imagine there being a vanos issue. It could be a harness issue or something like that? I'll tell John about Andreas. When a new product comes out, there are always issues until lots of cars are running on it. We had them with our setup when it first came out as well. I know a few of you want this system which is why we are getting the experience trying to get it up and running on our HPF M3.

Chris.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Exactly. The car starts up and lets me get about 3-4 miles, then it runs like crap. By the time I get back the plugs are toast. Yes, there are vanos codes, but when we run the HPF/AEM the car runs just fine so we can't imagine there being a vanos issue. It could be a harness issue or something like that? I'll tell John about Andreas. When a new product comes out, there are always issues until lots of cars are running on it. We had them with our setup when it first came out as well. I know a few of you want this system which is why we are getting the experience trying to get it up and running on our HPF M3.

Chris.
Definitely keep everyone in the loop. The only problem I'm having right now is with the idle after warm up. Runs fine , put over 100 miles on it on Friday night.. but the longer I drove it the more prone it was to dieing instead of idling. However if I shut it off, turned it back on it would be fine again until I drove it for an extended period then tried to stop.

The more of us making the switch, and communicating our issues/solutions the quicker we'll have them running like a top.

Oddly enough I've been in communication with Jim every step of the way via text/phone calls and he's not having any of the issues we're having. I did unbox my O2 sensors but I'm not sure if thats a requirement of E85 or what.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It works for a bit then has a rev limiter that won't go away until you turn the car off an on. Then it works for a bit then stops working.

Chris.

I had the EXACT same thing when in start and its the OEM PREcat o2 sensors that need to be in the exhaust stream otherwise the DME will cut throttle and it wont rev further then 3500rpm. You said 4500 but i guess its 3500 you meant?

I just welded 2 bungs in wayback in the exhaust and made extensions for the o2 wiring. That fixed my problems atleast.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
I had the EXACT same thing when in start and its the OEM PREcat o2 sensors that need to be in the exhaust stream otherwise the DME will cut throttle and it wont rev further then 3500rpm. You said 4500 but i guess its 3500 you meant?

I just welded 2 bungs in wayback in the exhaust and made extensions for the o2 wiring. That fixed my problems atleast.
I drove 100 miles this weekend without issue, until the very last 3 blocks. Then it started doing the 3500 rpm limit deal. My o2 sensors were boxed, I've since had them unboxed and they're now back in the exhaust stream.

Edit: Inzani, why did you put them 'way back' in the exhaust vs near the front? PS: Nice build you've got there.. :p

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
10 second pass, all you need is 1100whp! :p

So will these cars revv any higher with this big turbo to help with the overall powerband?
We can set the rev limiter to whatever we want. Don't be an idiot about the 10 second pass. You know all we need to do is put an auto in it and 15" wheels, and we'll be deep into the 8's.

Chris.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts