E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, SOON to be one. The deal has been made.
What I HAD was an AA stage 1.5 with meth. Trading up to what I wanted all along but could never afford..a HPF stage 2.5. Actually I wanted the HPF stage 3, but this 2.5 will be great. I COULD always upgrade to 2.75.....

Quick question. Any of you guys have an SMG and a stage 2 FERAMIC clutch from HPF? I got a stage 2 clutch from South Bend who swears they supply their exact clutch to HPF for threir BMW E46 turbo kits. The stage 2 is specifically for cars up to 800RWHP AND SMG cars!
I DO have a 2005 SMG E46 M3. I now have "CHATTERING"

Mind you, the clutch is brand new. The chattering or "stuttering" is NOT AUDIBLE. It is a vibration from a DEAD STOP leading up to full engagement.
I dont like it. I was told these clutches would NOT do this if we stuck with the STOCK flywheel....which i did of course.

Is there a BREAK IN PERIOD? If so, i can live with that. It does seem to be getting a tiny bit better...I THINK!!

So what is the real skinny on this?? I had the installers buy brand new Clutch cover bolts and flywheel bolts. I forget EXACTLY...but it conformed with South bends specific directions.

Before you all ask, Yes, the AA kit performed as advertised. No, it did not have enough torque or power for me. I think the level i had 435RWHP/300RWTQ would be more than adequate for MOST people. Just not near enough for guys who would buy a HPF kit.

It was determined that a full stage 2 AA kit was not going to satisfy either..so on the the HPF stage 2.5 with their 5 position traction control, updated super LOUD lean state alarm and many more goodies.

Yes, I had their plates welded in and ALL the rear end bushings and ball joints replaced with either poly or fresh OEM, pumpkin bushes, tranny bushing LIMITERS(limits movement). Car opened up and welded INSIDE too and ALL areas PAINTED with protective coatings.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
SMGs with the feramic clutch will chatter on takeoff, but it does get better once fully broken in. You might also consider getting the ESS SMG flash:

ESS was kind enough to use my car as a beta tester. Roman reflashed the smg in about an hour. The drive home was a fun one. The first gear chatter has been all but eliminated. The shifts are extremely fast, I cannot believe that a simple software reflash could make such a difference.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have the Stg 2 HPF clutch and it was chattering a lot at first but after about 1k miles thing got better and it feels much nicer now! Congrats on the Stg2.5!!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
mine still chatters some but it has gotten better over time.

do you have software to reset it yourself or do you have to go somewhere to get it done? i bought the autoenginuity software mainly for this reason. i can re teach it myself now in a matter of minutes instead of having to pay a shop to do it......its a handy tool to have for alot more reasons than just the smg functions....you should look into it.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
mine still chatters some but it has gotten better over time.

do you have software to reset it yourself or do you have to go somewhere to get it done? i bought the autoenginuity software mainly for this reason. i can re teach it myself now in a matter of minutes instead of having to pay a shop to do it......its a handy tool to have for alot more reasons than just the smg functions....you should look into it.
What does the autoenginuity do? Just clear the accumulated learning...I forget the exact term that BMW uses.....some sort of software term....Ahh! Adaptations! Thats the term!

Active auto cleared the memory/adaptations and said the SMG controller was accepting NEW adaptations from the South Bend clutch which was a very good sign.

From talking to some other owners my issue sounds very normal. I should expect some improvement over time, but the issue will never disappear 100%.

It has something to do with the STOCK clutch slips by design upon take off and the stage 2 does NOT slip and confuses the SMG. I dont know if this is accurate but souunds reasonable enough...I think.

All I know is that my stock clutch was slipping pretty bad with just the little bit of torque my AA stage 1.5 had. You CAN use your stock clutch, but if you really are hard on the clutch demands (ie tracking road course) then it WILL slip eventually. The stage 2 Feramic feels like it is NOT going to be slipping any time soon. I cant wait to REALLY test it out.

I rode in a stage 3 car that made me want the HPF kit. Too bad the 2.5 is a bit tamer but it will have to make do....all the planets were in alignment for my current deal. At least I will get my 750 with race gas.

Thats my other question. How many times can you run a leaded 110 octane and not ruin your sensors in the headers/exhaust manifold? And WHAT type of 110??? VP-110 NON OXYGENATED? Or oxygenated fuel. I am almost 100% sure the fuel is supposed to be NON oxygenated...
I have VP as the most readily available race fuel.

Driving my car a ways out of town this coming week to get the 2.5 dropped in. In addition i will be doing a coil over upgrade. From progressive KW var 1 to linear spring TC Kline with spherical ball fronts and spring rates 650/550. Sound good for a heavy vert? I am on the heavy side...with roll over bars still to come.
Also Agency Power exhaust to replace my RE El Diablo street muffler.

Transmission mount limiters(rest of sub frame is 100% done!!),

PLUS new/used perfect condition 19 inch wheels...RAC RG4 V2

19X9 ET37 - 19lbs front
19X10 ET25 - 21lbs rear am I going to love these??

Custom A Pillar mount for my AEM gauges. NO, we verts do NOT have an airbag in our a pillar so that area is up for grabs. The HPF Mickey mouse ears hide too much of MY dash info.

Big honking APR wing for the track. My little AC Shnitzter wing was a great "starter" wing. Areo work benefits our cars like crazy. They are like flying bricks from the factory.
Another extended panel up front under my Strassentech lip.

and some othjer stuff..i will post when i remember. All starting next week. Time? about 3-4 weeks...

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Contact Dave at Hpf if you want the Hpf pricing on the software. I love my ess reflash

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Contact Dave at Hpf if you want the Hpf pricing on the software. I love my ess reflash

Teach In Clutch Slipping, Teach In Clutch Characteristic Curve, Teach Clutch Values, and Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor Offset (SMG II)

The above is what the autoenginuity says it can do. thats a BOATLOAD! Would that solve 100% of my clutch chattering? Sounds like it might.

If this is so wonderful I wonder why my friend who is the owner of a VERY sophisticated shop(HPF Knowledgeable) said nothing about this software. He told me that he simply lived with his clutch chattering and there was nothing i could do about it. Sounds like that is not the case??

So, I am confused. Do guys get an ESS re flash AND autoenginuity software too?? I have talked with ESS about their software. They were not sure if it would work with my AA supercharger. That wont be the case shortly.

I am leery about messing around with MY OWN software. I would prefer an expert did that. Finding one around here is a problem...Fort Lauderdale/Miami???

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Teach In Clutch Slipping, Teach In Clutch Characteristic Curve, Teach Clutch Values, and Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor Offset (SMG II)

The above is what the autoenginuity says it can do. thats a BOATLOAD! Would that solve 100% of my clutch chattering? Sounds like it might.

If this is so wonderful I wonder why my friend who is the owner of a VERY sophisticated shop(HPF Knowledgeable) said nothing about this software. He told me that he simply lived with his clutch chattering and there was nothing i could do about it. Sounds like that is not the case??

So, I am confused. Do guys get an ESS re flash AND autoenginuity software too?? I have talked with ESS about their software. They were not sure if it would work with my AA supercharger. That wont be the case shortly.

I am leery about messing around with MY OWN software. I would prefer an expert did that. Finding one around here is a problem...Fort Lauderdale/Miami???
the autoenginuity is not that kind of software though, its not a "tune" for the smg like the ESS software is. the AE software is just a scan tool that can do a few two way communications, like the BMW GT1 tool. the SMG teaching functions being one of those.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see. The stuttering continues to improve as it breaks in. Man, this clutch is awesome. No way could I spin my tires in ANY gear before. Now, even with a small 435/300 I can light them up in first gear! No wonder my performance was lackluster before. I only had 30k miles on the stock clutch but it must not have been hooking up at ALL. The differnce is like night and day!...at LEAST a half second on the quarter...maybe .75 seconds....
I was doing a CRUMMY 13.7 even with my blower. It was embarrassing. I know how to drive a car down the strip....It was all about my stock clutch.

I am a road course guy. I do the quarter only as a measure of over all health. Sure. My over all health was TERRIBLE...brought on by a wonky OEM clutch.
Cant hook up...cant go nowhere! I did not realize how bad it was slipping. Sure, it all makes sense now!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grats on joining the fam... Can we expect you at Mfest?
Car is going to FLA location for install. I NEED IT DONE FOR MFEST!! i DONT KNOW if tjhat is going to happen. If it does, YES! I will be at Mfest!!

Yeah, I have been wanting a HPF for 3 years now. FINALLY!!!
I am pretty stoked.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is ur AA up forsale?
Unfortunately no. It was part of my deal. I have to say it was working better than ever...spinning my 275 tires with EASE in first gear. Thats with the new Feramic stage 2 clutch! HUGE difference.

But it (the blower) wasnt going to be enough in the long run. It would make 90% of OTHER drivers happy. We are the elite of power delivery, and "outcasts" in many's eyes!:pimpin::evil:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts