BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new here, I'm looking at buying a 2.2l bmw 3 series m sport coupe, I'm currently using my girlfriends car as my last car (an astra) was written off, what's everyone's opinion on the best colour? For me I think the dark grey is the nicest but I can't find any in my price range so it's either silver or light grey, I just can't decide which looks better? Also I love the look of xenons but from what I've looked at so far not many cars have them, how hard is it to fit genuine xenons to a 3 series that doesn't have them already? Sorry if that question has been asked many times before and thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
White.

You're asking the automotive equivelent of, "what's better for lunch?" without even giving limits such as peanut butter & jelly with a glass of milk, or a tri-tip steak sandwich with fries and a beer. If you have peanut alergies, then one is not good at all, and if you're a vegitarian then the other has no appeal. If you're lactose intolerant or an alcoholic, you will want to make different drink choices.

You're asking us to pick out your car, but you're in a country where the engine configuration you are considering is not an available option, 2.2L is not an option. (I should point out that the vast majority of participants here are in the States, and we only have the E46 with the Inline 6s in the 2.5L, 2.8L, and 3.0L configurations.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2.2l is an option where I am, it's still a 320 on the badge but you can get a 2.2, there's plenty on auto trader, black looks awesome when it's clean, shame it's a nightmare to clean and keep clean

·
Registered
581 Posts
2.2l is an option where I am...
OP, I think you did not understand what jdstrickland meant. You are from Branbury, which I presume it is the one from England.
Jdstrickland meant that you are on US "territory"...as almost all members are from US. We are "aliens" and we need to adjust to the specific differences.

As he said, your question is a bit useless. Leaving aside that you should follow your own preferences, not let some anonymous group of people influence your purchase.

And last but, not the least...first find a decent condition car and then worry about the colour. This is not a brand new model.
A car in your preferred colour means nothing, if it is a trashed car...

I never liked red cars but, when I bought mine, it was the only facelift coupe with a 2.5 engine, that was in a reasonable condition, compared to all other available junk. I just learnt to like its looks. Tacky for some, bold for others etc.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate your reply's, I can appreciate what your saying, I'm thinking now I should have maybe joined a uk forum, for me when choosing a car I would always go on condition, service history mileage etc first, I was just wondering what people's opinion were on colour, I understand what your saying though, it is down to personal preference, maverick thanks for the welcome, you to, is your car silver by any chance? Lol

·
Registered
499 Posts
If it's an M52B22 engine, then it's very similar to the larger 2.5 and 3.0 engines that most of the US-based posters have. Given your location, I'd recommend any of the lighter grays or silvers that BMW offers, with silver gray metallic being the best. Why? Black gets dirty, and in a place that's in the north where it rains, lighter colors pop more. That said, TiAg shows rain streaks more than silver gray does, so silver gray is the best compromise. To echo others, you have given us a "what to eat for lunch" spec, I just shared my reasoning....

·
Registered
113 Posts
If it's an M52B22 engine, then it's very similar to the larger 2.5 and 3.0 engines that most of the US-based posters have. Given your location, I'd recommend any of the lighter grays or silvers that BMW offers, with silver gray metallic being the best. Why? Black gets dirty, and in a place that's in the north where it rains, lighter colors pop more. That said, TiAg shows rain streaks more than silver gray does, so silver gray is the best compromise. To echo others, you have given us a "what to eat for lunch" spec, I just shared my reasoning....

+1 and what amazing reasoning it was I agree with this

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do appreciate your reply and your reasoning which is why I asked, I think I will go and look at a light grey one I like this weekend once I've got some £££ sorted, I've wanted a bmw for ages and cannot wait

·
Registered
'03 E46 325i with 6MT & LSD
2,186 Posts
The engine in a 320 is an m54b22 im pretty sure.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,560 Posts
can't say which color is "best".
but i can add that Silver is one of the harder colors to match well. just something to consider...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts