E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little experiment... What do you guys think of my DDE/DAE.
They have no halogen lights to heat up.

·
does anyone read my p0sts?
562 Posts
Guys the first demon eyes/angel eyes, etc. were made by cutting small holes into 5 series rings and then placing bright leds directly into the rings w/ 12 volt power. Those, as I called them, "getto eyes" were then comerically picked up first perhaps by Jim P. in his earliest kits. Loyal UUC sellers or Umnitza could probally fill in the story there. LED technology at that time was not bright enough to make the rings visible in the daytime. As such, lightboxes were then used to put more light to the rings. (Hence coining the term Daytime Demon/Angel Eyes.) Nowadays LEDs might be brighter and could be visible in the daytime. Personally I think that current technology (ala Gen V or Herb's upcomming product) will probably be brighter than LEDs. Anyway, just thought I would provide a little information.

You could, of course, do this today by purchasing just the rings off of Umnitza or VinnyMac; however, getting the whole kit is probably a better move. You can, of course, make the LED eyes whatever color you want by varying the LED color. However, I don't think that they'll be as bright.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Red LEDs are the brightest, blue are a fair second in visibility. Both are more nightime only solutions. But at night, they look very nice. Those two colors are problematic because they are likely to get you stopped by the police, due to those colors being 'reserved' for police and fire. Maybe not all the time, but if the police want a reason to hassle you, blue or red rings will do the trick. At least at night when they can be seen for long distances and you can't see that the car down the block is a cop.

Whitish LEDs are also a good choice but a 'white' LED is a damn hard thing to find, at least in quantities of 8 of them, all the same color. they are sometimes white, bluish, purple, yellow, even green.

Just a little info.

·
LinuxGeek
197 Posts
I have the same setup: IV gen DDE rings and 10000mcd LEDs.
Looks good at night :thumbup: but sucks at day time.:thumbdwn:

·
LinuxGeek
197 Posts
Re: how did you do that

bobm3 said:
where can i get a set ????????
bobm3 ;) ;)
Rings 60$ --> umnitza.com
leds 8xRL5-W10015 20$ -> superbrightleds.com
resistors 8x480ohm 2$ -> radioshack.com

:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think those look sweet! Even if they're not as bright as the Gen V's or whatever they're up to now, I'd rather have something like this without a light box and with a more subtle look.

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
any chance of you putting together a DIY for this? seems like a great alternative to buying an expencive kit

-brendan

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the replies. I will try to put together a DIY on this for you guys as I took pics most of the way through the install. The problem is getting the rings. I must say that I am a little disapointed with the daytime performance, but all in all for the $30 i have in this project I'm lovin my cheap little mod and it gives me something to play with to improve.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts