BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the biggest bmw engine that could fit into a 323i (that you could get for less than 10k)?

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,767 Posts
you can get a used 330 engine for a few K and then a few more to have it installed.

Also could put a E36 motor in it, but it will never be legal.

tim

·
Core Fanatic
1,159 Posts
Very good luck on the price. You may try to find a salvaged 330 engine. Aside from the engine cost, the updates to everything else related to the ECU is a killer expense too...

You say "big" like it is a "fitment" issue. The 330 enigne uses the same block as the 325, but with a longer stroke (different crankshaft, oil pan, etc, etc.....) so it will fit in the engine compartment. Changing everything else related to the engine swap will be far more expensive than just buying a new car. Except for replacing a blown engine that is not cevered by warranty (i.e., having a 323 with a blown engine with no resale value), you should realistically just buy a different BMW dude. Only my opinion. As always, modding is not an investment. Go for it.

·
Knight Rider
407 Posts
tim330i said:
you can get a used 330 engine for a few K and then a few more to have it installed.

Also could put a E36 motor in it, but it will never be legal.

tim
Why would it be ilegal?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts