E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya All

I sold my AA kit and decided to start preparing the car for the Right Hand Drive versions of the HPF kits which will hopefully be ready later this year.

After selling the charger there were a number of "niggles" that needed sorting out and as mentioned I have been hunting for a shop to take things to the next level. I have learnt so much from the last 3 years of modifying and like they say "hind sight is 20/20!!"... If only I knew then what I know know I would have done things very differently.

So the first thing to get right is the mechanical team as modifying is not a case of just buying bits and slapping them onto your car (maybe it is with a citi golf but not with a Bimmer). It is more a case of having a deep understanding of the science behind an engine, transmission, suspension and the electronics which make up each car and how these systems all operate together..

Anyway.. on the pics

So here she is outside her new home for the next few weeks, it took 2 stops along the way to get here there thanks to leaking oil, water and God knows what else from the cracked block and stuffed up cooling system I was handed back.

Once I arrived, the car was booked into G&C computer system where EVERY aspect of the car was checked and recorded.. this system tracks each car from arrival to washbay so Deon and the G&C team know not only where the car is, but what it wrong, what's been done and most importantly, what the timing issues are in terms of getting you back on the road...

Then on to a chat with "The Big Man". Deon is big in every sense.. and at 6'2 I'm not used to having to look up into people's faces.. I'm glad he's on my side --- :) (Think WWF's "Andre the Giant" meets Bill Gates) We discussed at great length what needs to be done as we are building this engine for the next level of power I will be aiming for this Summer.... This car will be hunting Lambo's and Ferraris only as everything else will be pre-school by comparison when she's done...

The shop is super impressive, from the entrance.. to the trophy shelf.. to the company slogan... I likes it alot :clap:

So onto the good stuff and what particularly turned me on about G & C (BTW I don't work for them in case you are wondering by now... think of this as investigative journalism on behalf of the Bimmer Community!!)

This is the ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT... (and that is DON FREERIDER on the left.. he drove with me in case Jezzy died on the N1!!) they can MAKE cams to order, re-surface heads and blocks, remanufacture heads, re-bore and re-hone cylinders and manufacture a range of needed bits and pieces.. when I arrived they were actually busy manufacturing some race spec Billet Cams for a customer who had specific needs for the timing durations.

Here's the donor engine... a S54 which threw a bearing but is otherwise fine

Deon will be combining this engine with the best parts of mine and re-engineering whatever is neccessary to get EACH AND EVERY component of the engine back to the manufacturing spec... G&C will be using measurements to 1/1000th of a mm so the engine I will end up with will have tolerance fully 100 times more accurate than a stock M3 engine and perfect for the level of power we will be achieving...

Bottom End

Head (Notice the carbon on exhaust ports and even color on intake ports.. this is an engine which was driven carefully... actually too much so... it was not opened up enough as can be seen by the slight ridges in the cylinders

And finally the shop floor.. more pics to follow once Jezzy is stripped down and a full damage report is sent through

Incidentally... we will be re-boring the engine to 87.5mm (stock M3 is 87) as this will allow the level of accuracy required and will clear the new larger CP Pistons...

Loads more pics as we go... my parts leave Horsepower freaks on Wednesday evening so more this week we will just concentrate on the dissasembly of the car and the machining of the engine components to get everything ready for the re-build next week..

And finally... Jezzy 2... well for the next few days... chicks dig it :)

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,603 Posts
Congrats on your new setup

and godspeed!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
This looks like its gona be crazy! Good Luck with the build Mate.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok here we go.. more pics from the Goch and Cooper Team.

They are still busy on the tear down to see what useable parts we have and what needs to be binned..

1. Here they are starting to sort the best bits from the heads

2. A close up of one of the cylinders. Despite the rust cause by a coolant leak, the new block is in very good condition compared to my poor dead baby. You will notice that despite the glazing on the cylinder, the correct M3 honing pattern is still visible...

***NBNBNB NOTE TO YOU ALL***

If you need your cylinders honed or re-bored, don't take this process lightly. I have realised in retrospect that the previous honing job done on my car was a complete joke. I will give LOADS more detail on how one should hone or bore and how one shouldn't, including videos of how NOT to do it and how to PROPERLY do it. Each piston manufacturer has a very specific honing pattern which must be adhered to for correct oil distribution, correct fit and generally correct operation. If your mechanic tells you that honing simply involves roughing the inside of the cylinder with a drill and a honing tool attached - TAKE YOUR CAR TO ANOTHER MECH IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

Correct honing and boring requires correct tools, correct settings and most importantly a torque plate... I will go into more detail on torque plates later in the week when mine arrives from the US. I will have the only one locally so if you are needing to hone or bore your S54, please let me know as it will be available to rent.

3. The bottom of the block with bearings and rod removed... all looks to be in good nick.. we are still waiting for the feedback from the engineers shop at Goch and Cooper.. I will post the engineers report on the cylinders when I get it.. all cylinder will be checked to 1,000's of a mm :)

4. Block detail showing the oil sprayers in each cylinder. G&C re checking the entire oil system to ensure there are no blockages or buildups in any of the capillaries or lines

5. Cranky Fellow!! The M3 crank is a truly brutal piece of metal.. Considering that HPF has pushed over 1,200 HP through this puppy, it sure was build to last !!

6. All Cranked Out - This is where the thrown bearing damaged the crank. If it can't be machined out we will use the other one or replace it... everything needs to be 110% for the new build

7. I can't Bearing it any longer :) This is the dead bearing... a very very ****ed up piece of kit.. into the bin with you!!

8. Who piston me? So I guess that means I only have 5 pistons for the parts bin then. Hmm... is that crack I smell?

9. Pistons removed.. the carbon costs extra :) Proof that gentle driving is NOT better on a performance engine.. these pistons are more caked with carbon then.... er a coal refinery .... we'll clean em up nicely and then put em in the parts bin.

10. The parts bin... well some of it anyway :) Ok so just to let all you fanatics know... if you are building or fixing an S54 I will have LOADS of spares once I'm done here and I will be selling them off to pay for my drug habit. So besides the all essential torque plate, I will have rods, pistons, a spare head, cams, springs, etc etc etc... I will measure and test EVERYTHING and only sell parts which are still fine.. I will publish a full list with pics one Deon has waved his wand over everything and said what goes to the junk pile and what is still fine.

And that's it for tonight.. enjoy peeps and hit me up with any questions you might have :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanted to post about how to and how NOT to hone and bore cylinders.. so what we'll is start with a video of cylinders being incorrectly honed.. sadly these are mine :(

http://youtu.be/c9Y6TXEKm6U

Knowing what I know now, I shiver to see what was done... The tool is not calibrated or even correct, the angle of the shaft is changing.. the lubricant used was petrol... basically what you see happening here should actually be called "breaking the glaze" and not honing. This will not give the correct honing pattern required for correct piston action...

When preparing a high spec engine (such as a Bimmer), 2 important things must happen when boring / honing

1. Torque Plate. This essential piece of kit is clamped onto the block in order to mimic the tortional force of having the head bolted on down to the block. The incredible force from these head bolts actually cause incredible small distortions in the shape of the cylinders and the torque plate allows you to mimic these changes whilst still having access to the inside of the cylinders for boring or honing.. that way when your head is clamped on, the cylinder bore and the honing pattern will be PERFECT!!

Here is my new torque plate about to leave the US of A :)

This baby is for BMW 6 cyl Engines and will fit any M20, S50, S52, M50, M52, M54 or S54. So if you are doing any honing or boring and you have one of these engines... RENT OR BUY A TORQUE PLATE or accept the fact that your honing / boring will simply NOT BE PERFECT...

2. Honing Pattern.. That's right.. there is a VERY specific honing pattern for each and every piston, designed to work with the oil channels of THAT specific piston.. it really should be adhered to if you want a proper job done. Your honing tool needs to be operated at a very specific speed and with the correct diamond or composite bit.. it then needs to be finished with the correct abrasive to smooth the cylinders again (NOT glaze.. smooth)

Here is the supplied honing pattern for the CPN2 Piston in an S54

So as you can see.. there is ALOT to rebuilding.. it's not just slapping parts together. Well... you can just slap parts together but you wont get the maximum out of your build and you will more than likely pick up issues down the line...

These engines roll off the BMW factory floor with an incredible attention to detail and production quality. If you want to improve them beyond stock, you HAVE to give EVEN MORE attention to detail and build quality.. it really is that simple..

If you try and cut corners and save costs, you only have yourself to blame when things go wrong later on...

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Congrats on a Wicked Project! :D

-TrippinBimmer

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not too much excitement today... I went to fetch the ARP main bolt set from Motown Auto in Brackenfell... not as exciting as getting the engine internals but lekker cause I got to snoop around their workshop and check out the American muscle being worked on... there was an AC cobra getting an overhaul and a big block chevy V8 with a twinscrew charger that could have sucked in a large cat :)

If you have never been there (and are in Cape Town) pop down just for the experience... the guys REALLY know there stuff and are a great contact for importing American or Australian car parts... even if V8 muscle isn't your thing, they can still help you with fasteners, bearings, filters etc etc.. also their workshop is impressive, as is there 9.8 second project car parked in the rear !!

So this is what today was all about, my nice new (and oily) ARP bolts... these are the main set, I am still waiting for the L19's (Head Bolts) which will be coming with the rest of the stuff next week.

I love looking at quality aftermarket VS OEM.. you can really see here where the necessary cost cutting hits mass produced car parts. As much as I'm sure the BMW bolts are good quality... looking at the ARP's you can just see that it's really a whole different ball game in terms of quality

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very cool, can I ask why you didn't have a 2.5 engine shipped direct from HPF if the turbo kit is definite?
Cause the kit ISN'T definite. We all know how much trouble 02PRUV had with fitting his turbo.. and our local SAVSPEED Turbo M3's all have the aircon removed to fit the turbo... which I really don't want to do.

In the off chance that the turbo doesn't end up happening (like the M5 E39 twin turbo project!) then at least my car still runs and can get an EAS, AA or G-power kit...

I would hate to be stuck running a built low compression motor with no FI!!

Also.. this car is my daily driver so I can't be stuck with an unuseable motor for the next few months while HPF gets the R&D finished..

That's why :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay!

I will take proper proper pics tonight .. but here is a little teaser of what's to come...

This was all I was going to show until later.. but them curiosity got the best of me and I had to open it all up... OHMYGOD was I happy... check these beauties out!!

Those are the CP Pistons (Stock Compression) and HD pins.. these puppies can handle 150HP each although I'll switch to HPF pistons before making anything close to that... they are also incredibly light

There's a little detail on one of the pistons.. thanks Saintly for the advice on getting these.. I cannot tell you how light they are... feels like holding a packet of cigarettes only colder and a little bit more expensive

I will take pics of everything else tonight and post em

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Very sexy!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Those are the CP Pistons (Stock Compression) and HD pins.. these puppies can handle 150HP each although I'll switch to HPF pistons before making anything close to that... they are also incredibly light
Wait Matt.......Are you going to rebuild your engine again at a later stage?:yikes:

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.