BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I needed this. Thank you for taking time out to create this doc. It is much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
glad you guys found it useful. :)
mine was messed up far worse than any of other the doc's i found :(
it looks like i might have to bite the bullet and buy the repair kit, because the "wiper" thing that got bent up is still grinding a bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great info, thanks! But before I go through the trouble of doing it myself, does anyone know if the dealership will fix your sunshade while still under warranty?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Great job on the DIY.

My Sunroof Cover busted about 2 years ago.

There were pieces falling down here and there for the first 1.5 years.

If I brake to hard the sunroof actually closes by itself.

What pieces, other than the left and right sliding pices, do you think I"ll need ?

I'd rather buy to many pieces, and have some left over, than try this twice.

·
Registered
897 Posts
whizbang said:
Great info, thanks! But before I go through the trouble of doing it myself, does anyone know if the dealership will fix your sunshade while still under warranty?
Yes they definitely will.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whizbang said:
it's clearly a defect. it should be covered.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EIAlfonso said:
Great job on the DIY.

My Sunroof Cover busted about 2 years ago.

There were pieces falling down here and there for the first 1.5 years.

If I brake to hard the sunroof actually closes by itself.

What pieces, other than the left and right sliding pices, do you think I"ll need ?

I'd rather buy to many pieces, and have some left over, than try this twice.
It's hard to say without opening it up to take a look. Actually, removing the glass only takes a few minutes. If you want to spend $100+ to be safe, you can buy the repair kit that I mentioned, but personally, I think you should just open it up and look.

The sunroof closes by itself, or the shade? My shade was completely loose, and would open/close when I accelerated/braked hard.

·
Registered
897 Posts
lincomatic said:
The sunroof closes by itself, or the shade? My shade was completely loose, and would open/close when I accelerated/braked hard.
The shade closes/opens by itself, all kinds of pieces have fallen off. It goes in cockeyed it comes out cockeyed, it rattles/squeaks.

Probably the weakest designed part of the car.(just slightly worse than the weather stripping)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EIAlfonso said:
The shade closes/opens by itself, all kinds of pieces have fallen off. It goes in cockeyed it comes out cockeyed, it rattles/squeaks.

Probably the weakest designed part of the car.(just slightly worse than the weather stripping)
Yup, I had exactly the same symptoms, except my motor would also go crunch whenever I forgot, and tried to open the roof.

My sunroof got stuck when I tried to open it again last night. Argh. I think the "wiper" just have jammed again. I think I will just remove it. At least this will give me a chance to take some of the photos that I forgot to take before writing up the DIY.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Perhaps some dilectric grease (high quality vasoline) under the wiper would help?

I posted elsewhere on this but can't remember where (sorry) but can you tell us how much the glass weighs?

Thanks for the great writeup. I liked your invented words for the parts.

·
Registered
897 Posts
What exactly makes up the sunroof repair kit?

Also I think it a good idea to sand down the tracks to remove any metals burs that might have come up during all the grinding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
EIAlfonso said:
What exactly makes up the sunroof repair kit?

Also I think it a good idea to sand down the tracks to remove any metals burs that might have come up during all the grinding.
I'm not sure of the exact contents... I didn't look carefully, I definitely saw the "wiper" in there, as well as the "driver." It might contain the SLIDING PIECE bits as well. You can find out by checking it out @ your dealer. Considering that the 4 SLIDING PIECE bits cost me $65+, it might not be that bad a deal. Now that my "wiper" seems to be bad, I'm regretting not buying that instead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tom Busby said:
Perhaps some dilectric grease (high quality vasoline) under the wiper would help?

I posted elsewhere on this but can't remember where (sorry) but can you tell us how much the glass weighs?

Thanks for the great writeup. I liked your invented words for the parts.
I think you posted your question on one of the other Bimmer boards. I replied to it already on whatever board that was... I'm not sure of the weight, but it's probably <5lbs. I can weigh it for you next time I take it apart (hopefully this weekend).

·
Registered
29,086 Posts
Unitim said:
Nice!

Might come in handy.
Might? Do you have an E46.... if so, it WILL come in handy :)

1 - 20 of 92 Posts