E46 Fanatics Forum banner

New E46 Owner with some questions...

Tags
p0014
2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  gliderguy 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am the proud new owner of a 2004 325Ci coup with around 92,000 miles on it. I have searched over these forums and am amazed at the wealth of knowledge available. I do have one problem with my car that I am looking for some help with. The car came with the SES light on and when I ran the codes with a scanner form autozone I pulled the following code:

P0014 B Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

I can clear the code and the car starts fine and the SES stays out... on subsequent starts (#2 and on) the SES light comes back on and the same code is present.

I have researched this forum and it seems that a lot of times this code is present when there is an issue with the Vanos seals and is associated with idling trouble and/or sluggish performance. My issue is that the car runs great as far as I can tell and idles fine.

I've read on other forums that this code could be because of a faulty camshaft position sensor. Its my understanding that there are 2 of these for intake/exhaust... is there anyway to tell which could be the problem? Thanks in advance for any input you guys can give me.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the tip! I will check into this and report back.... Is this problem normally the exhaust CPS as opposed to the intake?

Another thought I have is that I am not used to what a BMW should perform like so perhaps my car does have sluggish acceleration. This car is an upgrade from a 1991 90HP Subaru so almost any performance seems much better. What I do know is that there is no problem idling and the engine runs smooth.

Im gonna go find a mirror and flashlight.... Thanks again for the response!

#5 ·
Ok... was just able to get under the hood with a mirror. The sensor does NOT have any BMW logos on it. There is some engraved name near the wire connector. I am assuming that this is one of the non-oem sensors that I have read are prone to failure. With the fact that my engine runs fine and that I have a non-oem CPS exhaust sensor is it safe to assume that this sensor is throwing the P0014 code as opposed to a Vanos issue? I am planning on replacing the valve cover gasket seal in the near future... how much more of a project is a Vanos seal replacement? Sorry for the newbie questions but I am trying to learn as fast as possible. Someone wanted a picture of the car... its attached... nothing too special but I'm having fun!

Thanks again for helping me answer these questions!

Attachments

#6 ·
Aftermarket CPS sensors aren't just prone to failing. They simply don't work. I don't know how the vendors continue to sell them

Your fault code is almost surely due to the aftermarket sensor.

If you're replacing the valve cover gaskets and you have it in you, you should keep going and replace the vanos seals. You will receive some nice performance improvements. You need to remove the fan/shroud. Then you remove the vanos off the engine head. It's not difficult, just time consuming.

#7 ·
Thanks for the information! I know there is an intake and an exhaust CPS... in your experience is this code caused by just the exhaust sensor? I tried to get the sensor wire off the sensor last night but couldn't manage to get it to unclip... any tricks to this? Thanks Again!

#9 ·
E46 cars commonly experience failures of the sensors on both the intake and the exhaust side. The Peake code readers tell you which is failing.

Replace with OE sensors only.

Both the intake and the exhaust sensor replacements are easy to moderate DIY projects.

Searching here will yield some DIY instructions.

#11 ·
if you do the vanos make sure you get extra vanos piston bolts I started doing mine sat, and cracked one:ben: but it was pretty easy going up till then.. but yeah definitely make sure you have all the tools and extra parts the the besian system site recommends like the water pump pulley tool and 32 mm wrench t30 etc. plus what they dont tell you is start by removing the cabin filter first with the t30:hi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.