BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A sucker is born every minute - and this one needs help!

Hi All,

Always been a fan of BMWs and have been trying to find one for a long time. Found a 2002 325i with a great body, low miles, and the black with brown leather that I had always wanted. Problem is, I let my emotions get in the way of good sense. Guy said that the mechanic that had serviced the car had said that dash alert lights (check engine, ebs, brake, etc) were just bad sensors and they did not indicate problems with the systems themselves, and that he checked. Said to take it to him to confirm. Did the deal, went to the mechanic and he said the opposite.

List of issues:

1) Oil leak
2) There is a code for internal malfunction of the ABS control Module, most likely will need replacing and programming.
3) There are DME codes for open circuits in the following components:
Thermostat
Air Flow Meter
Evap Purge Valve

Due to the fact that the check engine light may have been on for a while, there is a possibility of a bad DME. But need to replace some components, clear, and see the results.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Codes: IHKA – 1E IHKA AUC HEATING Short circuit to negative – currently not present –
IHKA – 1C IHKA: AUC SENSOR – Open Circuit = currently present – fault frequency 255

Auc sensor b6450_00107

1) ZKE – 3D GM: Boot lid unlocking : mechanism – currently present – Fault frequency 13
2) DME – A8 DME: Thermostat, map cooling, mechanical, jammed open,- Themostat Jammed open P0128 – Fault is relevant –coolant temperature, radiator outlet B1214_M0TKA
3) DME – 08 DME: Signal, air-mass flow sensor --- short circuit to negative or open circuit (P0102)
4) DME – 44 DME : Activation, solenoid valve, tank ventilation – Open Circuit (P0444) – Solenoid valve, tank ventilation B1214_MS43TEV
5) DSC – 5DF5 ABS-DSC : Internal fault, control unit – Fault currently present - ABS/DSC unit b3450_05DF2

Asked for the owner to buy it back or help with the fix, but so far, nothing. I have texts of them saying that it was nothing, but I know legal route is very difficult. Aside from affirming that I am an idiot (this I now know), any advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi All,

Always been a fan of BMWs and have been trying to find one for a long time. Found a 2002 325i with a great body, low miles, and the black with brown leather that I had always wanted. Problem is, I let my emotions get in the way of good sense. Guy said that the mechanic that had serviced the car had said that dash alert lights (check engine, ebs, brake, etc) were just bad sensors and they did not indicate problems with the systems themselves, and that he checked. Said to take it to him to confirm. Did the deal, went to the mechanic and he said the opposite.

List of issues:

1) Oil leak
2) There is a code for internal malfunction of the ABS control Module, most likely will need replacing and programming.
3) There are DME codes for open circuits in the following components:
Thermostat
Air Flow Meter
Evap Purge Valve

Due to the fact that the check engine light may have been on for a while, there is a possibility of a bad DME. But need to replace some components, clear, and see the results.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Codes: IHKA – 1E IHKA AUC HEATING Short circuit to negative – currently not present –
IHKA – 1C IHKA: AUC SENSOR – Open Circuit = currently present – fault frequency 255

Auc sensor b6450_00107

1) ZKE – 3D GM: Boot lid unlocking : mechanism – currently present – Fault frequency 13
2) DME – A8 DME: Thermostat, map cooling, mechanical, jammed open,- Themostat Jammed open P0128 – Fault is relevant –coolant temperature, radiator outlet B1214_M0TKA
3) DME – 08 DME: Signal, air-mass flow sensor --- short circuit to negative or open circuit (P0102)
4) DME – 44 DME : Activation, solenoid valve, tank ventilation – Open Circuit (P0444) – Solenoid valve, tank ventilation B1214_MS43TEV
5) DSC – 5DF5 ABS-DSC : Internal fault, control unit – Fault currently present - ABS/DSC unit b3450_05DF2

Asked for the owner to buy it back or help with the fix, but so far, nothing. I have texts of them saying that it was nothing, but I know legal route is very difficult. Aside from affirming that I am an idiot (this I now know), any advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't know if I posted in the wrong spot. I apologize. I am a newbie. I thought the first one was not in the forum. Can I go and delete one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then it looked like it wouldn't let me post until i did an intro post, so I did that as well. What a mess.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
based on the list of things, I am assuming you did not get a smog certificate from the previous owner. If you don't have one, it's nearly impossible to register the car in your name.
I suggest you replace all the components as soon as possible.
Do you know when the registration expires?
Contact a lawyer and see if you have a case? He clearly lied to you and you may have a fraud case.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
You are in California. The car is supposed to pass smog BEFORE you buy it. It cannot pass smog with the errors you report. If this is a private party transaction, then you have a difficult road ahead. But if a dealer transaction, then go to the DMV.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What lights are on in dash, abs speed sensors are very common culprits.

The maf sensor is something you definitely need to replace, but unplug it for now.

This is my new to me e46s lost of problems, problems I solved and things I want to do that don't really matter "yet"
I just have this as a note in my phone and edit it as I go

-------Work to do and maintenance ASAP---------
Rad fan motor replace
Intake cam sensor
Exhaust cam sensor
Exhaust
Check heater in cabin
Fsr #64116920365 $119 oem
Update coolant system
Spark plugs Ngk 70$

--------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

---------2000 BMW E46 coupe parts list---------
Ccv
Vanos
DISA #11611440049
Solenoids
Coil overs and suspension bushings
License plate light pass side rear
Passenger interior door handle
Hood
Fender
Install o2 sensors after cat or plug M18-1.5 screw 27mm wrench to remove
New key #66126955748
Rear window driver actuator
Spare wheel
Front and rear mtech bumpers
Black roof lining and match all interior
Clear corners
Driver seatbelt replace
Door handle (passenger)
Oil sensor(common problem)
B800 BMW airbag reset tool
Cabin air filter #64319071935
Crankshaft Position Sensor #12141709616 100$
Rotors 45$ each
Rear pads 86$
Fronts pads 60$
Skid plates

----------------------------------------------

----------------Scanners to look into-----------
iPhone app + scanner
BMW Scanner 1.4.0 45$ (or more recent one)
Launch Creader 123(lots of feature support)
----------------------------------------------

------------****Completed ****-------------

Coolant flush and replace. (Did feb 23rd Kayss )
Replaced filter (Feb 23rd Kayss)
Blinkers 7506LL (did feb 27)
Battery Duralast 49 for 130$ feb 28
Fuel cap 70$ Feb 28th
Driver rear abs sensor 50$ march 3
Alternator 130$ tow + 130$ part march 14
Fuel pump 100$ march 28th
Plug o2 M18-1.5 after cat April 1st 6$
Replace driver blinker plug 0$
Passenger rear abs sensor 50$ April 19th
Cold air intake 30$ April 19th
Maf 50$ April 19th
Replaced with old fuel pump April 21st

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Yes, the smog certificate is the seller's responsibility, but many sellers would increase the price if they included one in the sale.

OP probably got the car for a low price (for a reason) and knew that it needed work.

On to the codes: a car will not need a DME, just because the check engine light has been on for a while.

You don't need an MAF sensor, the code says there is an open circuit, meaning wiring issue.

·
Registered
E39 E90 E46 F10
5,048 Posts
Yes, the smog certificate is the seller's responsibility, but many sellers would increase the price if they included one in the sale.

OP probably got the car for a low price (for a reason) and knew that it needed work.

On to the codes: a car will not need a DME, just because the check engine light has been on for a while.

You don't need an MAF sensor, the code says there is an open circuit, meaning wiring issue.
Unless the thin film is torn, in which case an open circuit, in which case a new MAF.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts