BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the advice I get here. This is my first post. Need help figuring out how to get these dang power steering connectors to let loose. Its the connectors to the cooler. I'm using a 17mm open end wrench to push the plactic part in while pushing in on the metal side at the same time. Still can't get them to release. Tried wd-40 as well to assist with no luck. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I am also having the same problem, but I figure it would be a lot easier with the expansion tank out, I think I'll just wait for mine to fail, and then fix my leak.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the expansion tank thinking it would allow me to properly access the lines. Still can't get them off. :banghead:Is there a special tool for this? Buddy has the bentley manual but I don't believe there is a special tool?

·
/// Limitless
3,504 Posts
This is how I removed them, without the proper tool. NOTE: you don't have to press hard you just have to compress the ring as far as it goes. Excess pressure equals broken parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have same issue and my white clips are missing too.

I really need help! I also can't seem to get that damn hose off. The white clips were brittle and broke off mine. I noticed a special tool is avaialble and other used other methods, but what's the work around if the white clip (the one your suppose to press in and pull) is missing. Options...Anyone...HELP

Love the advice I get here. This is my first post. Need help figuring out how to get these dang power steering connectors to let loose. Its the connectors to the cooler. I'm using a 17mm open end wrench to push the plactic part in while pushing in on the metal side at the same time. Still can't get them to release. Tried wd-40 as well to assist with no luck. Any ideas?

·
/// Limitless
3,504 Posts
At the point the plastic ring is broken the hose is pretty much a write off I think. That plastic ring presses in and spreads pre-sprung barbs. Without the plastic ring you can't seperate the barbs and won't be able to remove the connector in tact.

I'd pull the dremel out with a cutoff wheel and and be VERY careful. You don't want to mangle the male connector (think of the consequences :shhh:). I would first cut the hose from the metal so that I didn't have to fight additional weight/leverage of the part. Then cut just past the point where the male part stops, all the way around the metal connector. Thenvery carefully cut lengthwise and seperate the metal part like a clam shell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for your quick reply and advice TitaniumCranium. I was hoping to avoid using the Dremel, but I also believe that may be my only option at this time. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again...

·
/// Limitless
3,504 Posts
This may help you understand what you're up against.

There is a tab broken off in this pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Just get the AST tool that Ken posted. I have one and it pays for itself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am not opposed to getting the AST tool, but I believe that tool is rendered useless once the white tabs are broken off? I'm going to resort to the dremel this weekend (saw it off) unless anyone has any alternative clever ideas. If anyone managed to get the hose off with missing tabs...please me know. This is driving me insane!....

·
Registered
306 Posts
How about wrapping a thin small piece of sheet metal around the hose (will have to trim to size as not to overlap) and pressing this in to release the barbs. I have not done this, it was just an idea and I am not sure if it will work. Is the broken plastic completely out? Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great Idea Hammer432. I already tried wrapping a thin piece of sheet metal around the hose and was hoping that would release barbs, but that didnt seem to do the trick either. Talk about over enginnering a damn hose. This must be a common problem with the tabs breaking off. I wonder what BMW dealer would do in my case? I can't be the only person experiencing this issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah most of my plastic pieces are broken off the majority of my hoses. I recently bought the car and quickly figured out my pieces we're missing when attempting this job. At this point, I dont see how the special tool would benefit me. In regards to using needle nose pliers...That metal around the pipe seems thick. I'm afraid using needle nose may result in breaking the plastic male side on the cooler. Hmmm... Sounds like a combination of Dremel and needle nose may be my only option...Do you agree?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for everyone's support. Special thanks to TitaniumCranium for posting your pics.

Challenge: How to remove power steering hoses without white plastic tabs. I tried several otions including making my own replacement white tab out of sheet metal including purchasing after market a/c disconnect tools as shown in the first picture below. NONE OF THOSE OPTIONS WORKED including the special BMW tool.

disconnect.JPG

My Solution: Use a Dremel carefully with a small disc. Cut carefully at the metal head just enough to clear the metal on the end. Then carefully use needle nose to pry off. It's a pain in the ass, but the key is take your time. The plastic nipples on the cooler appear to be plastic.

pic1.JPG
pic2.JPG

Total parts cost around 100 bucks.. replaced all power steering hoses and fluid. Dealer estimate upwards of 700.
If your white plastic tabs are not broken off, buy the BMW tool listed in this thread.

Good Luck! :thumbup:

·
Just Nuts
7,253 Posts
Same kind of fittings are found on domestic push fit plumbing parts. The metal teeth/tab is easily disengaged if you insert a piece of thin stiff sheeting material between the pipe and the teeth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried 2 different types of thin sheet metal (one of them shown in my first pic) inlcuding domestic push fittings and none of them worked for me. I even had a 2nd mechanically inclined neighbor give it a shot with no luck. The e46 power sterring hoses are a ***** to get off once you're missing the plastic tab. THEY ARE NOT EASY TO GET OFF. If they were, BMW wouldn't make a special tool for them. As shown in the pic above, they are precisely located in the hose. First Try thin stiff sheet metal (as others recommended as well) before pulling the dremel out. Remember if that white insert is missing its not easy to get off in my opinion. For those of you that have a proven solution to get these hoses off with missing plastic tabs and without using the BMW tool make the tool and sell it to people like me. You will have a new beamer in no time.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts