BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry to post a new thread about this, as there are already numerous cooling threads, but my issue seems unique. I rebuilt the front end of my '99 328i last fall after a front end impact, and the radiator was the only mechanical damage, the rest was cosmetic. I installed a whole new cooling system; I figured I would replace the rest while I was at it. Anyways, the plastic connector for the electric fan was smashed, but the wires and pins were fine, so I ordered a new plastic connection, placed the pins in the right spot, and plugged it in. But the fan won't turn on now. I've been driving as is, and I'm fine unless I sit idle for about 5-10 minutes, then it runs hot. Any ideas? I'm going to check the power to the fan and see if that's it, but are there any other reasons that I should look into?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Pretty sure there is a fuse (50 amp?), just not sure of the location, under the hood, left side or behind the glovebox..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the fuse in the glovebox, and it was kinda fried, but not too bad. I replaced it with another one, but still nothing

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Assuming power is getting to the fan, the fan will turn on based on:

***8226; Coolant outlet temperature (as measured by the sensor in the lower radiator hose)
***8226; Calculated catalyst temperature
***8226; Vehicle speed
***8226; Battery voltage
***8226; Air Conditioning pressure

Is the sensor in the lower radiator hose hooked up? Did you replace it or reuse the existing sensor?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts