BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 11,000 miles I am starting to feel a very slight sensation of grinding whenever I engage the clutch. My dealer has offered to replace the clutch with a new one (under warranty) if I want it.

Is replacing a clutch a pretty standard job? Is there any reasonable chance that I will wish that I just left it alone. I mean, is there any chance that the new clutch will feel crappy when compared to the factory installed one?

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,782 Posts
damn dude.. i would so change the clutch if they offered to

·
Registered
401 Posts
ac325ci said:
damn dude.. i would so change the clutch if they offered to
Seriously

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,831 Posts
Damn skippy have them do it. Planning on doing any performance mods? If so you might take this chance to get a sport clutch from sachs(same maker as the OEM clutch I think) or at least a lightweight flywheel and have them install it for you if you dont think they will pull and 'this will void your warranty' BS

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GhostRider,
I'm a little gun-shy about doing the performance mods and the hassles that go along with having to fight for your warranty rights (that's why I picked the 330 so that I could get slightly better performance already from the factory). Although, since I've been visiting this forum I have to admit that my 'grand plan' will probably come to an end pretty soon as I'm thinking of getting my feet wet with a dinan CAI. A CAI seems pretty 'un-mecahnical' unlike the sport clutch and flywheel that you suggest.

·
Registered
401 Posts
TomM said:
GhostRider,
I'm a little gun-shy about doing the performance mods and the hassles that go along with having to fight for your warranty rights (that's why I picked the 330 so that I could get slightly better performance already from the factory). Although, since I've been visiting this forum I have to admit that my 'grand plan' will probably come to an end pretty soon as I'm thinking of getting my feet wet with a dinan CAI. A CAI seems pretty 'un-mecahnical' unlike the sport clutch and flywheel that you suggest.
Ok but couldnt you put in a e36 m3 clutch. Im sure it would feel much stronger compared to our ****ty ones. Man do i hate our clutches

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,588 Posts
dame 11K and a new clutch???? u've been abusing ur tranny bro..

My car has alost 50K and my clutch is like new..

but if the dealer offered to change it, go for it.

·
1,831 Posts
Beema said:
Ok but couldnt you put in a e36 m3 clutch. Im sure it would feel much stronger compared to our ****ty ones. Man do i hate our clutches
Thats not a bad idea and I'm pretty sure its a direct part swap but even if you offered to pay a slight ammount for the difference most dealerships wont let you do it. On the othet hand you have a dealership that offered to change it for you without you having to go around in circles to get them to so they might consider it.

General consensus is that the stock e46 clutch is an outright shame. Read Samir's post lower down on this link:
http://www.renn-sport.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=628&highlight=clutch

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Ok, so by changing our clutches to an e36 m3 clutch, won't we need the e36 m3 clutch fork as well, so that the engagement point will be correct? Will the clutch still feel buttery and soft, or do you guys think the pedal will actually be stiff?

To be honest, I much prefer a stiff clutch pedal, however, I always thought that the slave cylinder has alot to do with pedal feel?

·
1,831 Posts
I'd prefer a stiffer clutch, but you lost me on the clutch fork part. This is an area of performance I'm still researching:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Man, I can't believe you need a new clutch already. Did the dealer say it was defective or did you drive pretty aggressively?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dick said:
Man, I can't believe you need a new clutch already. Did the dealer say it was defective or did you drive pretty aggressively?
The mechanic took it for a test drive and he said that he could feel a very, very slight rubbing/grinding when engaging the clutch. The service manager said that was good enough for him and he was willing to replace the clutch with a new one if I wanted it. I told him "yeah, go for it".

As far as being aggressive or not, I always shift between 3000-4000 rpm, I always seem to get smooth shifts (up and down) and I have yet to stall the car (seriously). And I never ride the clutch. If I had to pick one thing that I might be doing too much of is down shifting, even though I always try to match the revs. I think that I'm gonna try to use my brakes a bit more (coast in 4th, down shift to 3rd, put it in neutral then brake to the light). Enough of this 4-3-2-1-brake.

·
Registered
391 Posts
TomM said:

The mechanic took it for a test drive and he said that he could feel a very, very slight rubbing/grinding when engaging the clutch. The service manager said that was good enough for him and he was willing to replace the clutch with a new one if I wanted it. I told him "yeah, go for it".

As far as being aggressive or not, I always shift between 3000-4000 rpm, I always seem to get smooth shifts (up and down) and I have yet to stall the car (seriously). And I never ride the clutch. If I had to pick one thing that I might be doing too much of is down shifting, even though I always try to match the revs. I think that I'm gonna try to use my brakes a bit more (coast in 4th, down shift to 3rd, put it in neutral then brake to the light). Enough of this 4-3-2-1-brake.
There's been posts about a clutch bearing issue on some cars. This would explain your situation.
I never get more than 65-75k miles out of a clutch. I wail on them a little bit I guess.
It's great that they're going to replace it for you. : )

·
1,831 Posts
I never downshift into 1st gear unless I'm at almost a complete stop, or if I'm going really slow over something like the crappy ass rail road tracks near my place. at that point its easier to use the brake to get a nice smooth stop

1 - 15 of 15 Posts