E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 325xi (Prod 09/03)
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did the clutch on my Xi and the rear main seal started to leak, lovely. Got a place with a garage for a month so i pulled it all apart again, this time it only took 10 hours straight to get it all done including raising the car. Not bad.

My question is, should i restart my break in period? I also learned the important of a clutch stopper. There were a few small burn marks on my brand new flywheel and pressure plate. Prior to installing the stopper i would just push the pedal all the way in and it would sometimes lock me out of gear and i could hear a groaning sound coming from the gearbox, but if i let my foot up an inch or so, no problem. Good thing i sorted that out before i completely destroyed/warped it.

See below if you are curious about my Xi removal process the first time around

Sorry for the picture quality, cracked my camera lens on a rock the first go around on this job

Attachments

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Prior to installing the stopper i would just push the pedal all the way in and it would sometimes lock me out of gear and i could hear a groaning sound coming from the gearbox,
Pushing the PP diaphragm beyond the inflection point caused it to reverse, and I had mentioned this a few times before.
No more break in needed.

·
Registered
2004 325xi (Prod 09/03)
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pushing the PP diaphragm beyond the inflection point caused it to reverse, and I had mentioned this a few times before.
No more break in needed.
Excellent. While I have you what are your thoughts on the scorch marks, feels extremely flush and smooth when I slide my finger across it. Brake cleaned it 6 or 7 different sessions, you can never clean it too many times. I’m waiting to see if my new rear main seal will leak or not, other than putting it all back together and firing it up to see I just decided to tip the motor back to see if any oil will slip out.

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
I've also had a rear main seal leak after r&r- it's really disheartening, isn't it?

As to the hot spots- what brand clutch and p-p?
I'd associate those with excessive
clutch slip, but there are too few of them....
like it's not getting enough contact area.

I have honestly never done much of a break- in-
I'm just careful not to slip it much at first, to try to
avoid exactly what you're seeing.

That said, every self- adjusting clutch I've taken out, good
or bad, tends to look like some variation on what you're seeing.
I'm starting to wonder if it's not business as usual.

BTW, how are you resetting the SAC? I've never attempted that...

t

·
Registered
2004 325xi (Prod 09/03)
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went with the Clutch Master Stage 1 Clutch And Flywheel Kit - FX100, no self adjusting

I really enjoy it but have been careful not to get on it too much, it’s completely changed the personality of the car for the better in my case.

I’ve heard rear main seals are cursed sometimes. My bottom right front facing bolt has a hard time with holding a lot of torque, I’m also aware of the torque specs, but the torque wrench won’t click on that one, it can just keep spinning if I tried! I actually snapped the bolt before with my first go around from my post on the xi forums, I couldn’t get it out and just rtv’d a lot at that bottom right corner then prayed. That didn’t go well, never again. But here I am ripping it apart again because of how bad it leaked. It took my father just 15 minutes to get the old broken stud out. But it’s strange, the other holes hold good tight torque, whereas the bottom right front bolt seems to keep wanting to spin without getting to much tighter as you’d expect. It’s on there tight nonetheless, all I can do is pray it doesn’t leak this go around or I’m in big trouble. Seems to be something up with those threads but I don’t want to keep turning it and have the head snap off that bolt too..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts