E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I bought 2002 330Ci about a year and a half ago with a noticeably, bad throwout bearing, very light clutch feel, and very high engagement point with about 130k on the Odometer. The clutch had no slipping. I used this as an advantage to talk the owner down about a grand. As the year and a half passed with Atlanta traffic (making sure I let out the pedal as much as possible to prevent further throw out wear) I knew I was due for a clutch change. I wanted to prevent the throwout from grenading and causing damage to other components.

So I had a new clutch installed by a reputable Indy in Atlanta. I know the shop owner pretty well due to his involvement with Georgia Tech and me ordering OEM parts at pretty decent discounts or just hanging around the shop and getting free access to the diagnostic computer.

The job included a resurfaced flywheel by another local shop he regularly uses, rebuilt clutch also by a local shop he regularly uses, and replacing all bearings and components with OEM parts as I was told.

When I picked the car up, takeoff in first/reverse was very rough causing a shuddering effect combined with flywheel chatter and all kinds of unpleasant stuff. So I did some research and talked to the owner to find this is normal for a break in period of up to about 500 mi if the flywheel was resurfaced. (which it was and I have read by some sources is a no-no on the Dual-Mass OEM flywheel). But the clutch pedal felt very smooth and engaged great in any situation other than takeoff. Also, the engagement point was not as high as the previous but higher than expected (about 2/3rd the distance from the floor)

So I gave it time...

After ~2000-3000 mi it still feels terrible.

Currently, the clutch still feels inconsistent and all in all just sporadic at nature. I Get the following symptoms randomly on different days and times of the day. While some days it feels completely normal.

-Flywheel chatter in neutral
-Shuddering taking off in 1st/reverse
-Slightly noticeable vibration when engine braking specifically around 2-2.5k rpm
-Recently I notice the clutch pedal is not smooth at times. Notice a small bump in the pedal that coincides with a light tick coming from the clutch.
-Also, recently a slight vibration is felt in the pedal on occasion.

My research has led me to the following conclusions on each of these issues respectively:

-From what I have read I know the shuddering is coming from an inconsistent friction coefficient between the clutch and the flywheel. This is caused either due to it not being aligned perfectly or possibly that the resurfacing of the flywheel was not performed correctly. Whenever the shudder is present flywheel chatter shows up with it caused by the inconsistent engadgement

-I'm assuming the flywheel chatter in neutral could be caused by shaving off enough of the flywheel for it to be lighter and hence chatter appears. But it is still occasional.

-The vibration I'm guessing is caused by something being unevenly positioned about the rotation axis (either inconsistent mass of the flywheel or unaligned clutch)

-The bump in the pedal and coinciding coinciding tick tell me something is getting caught which is not comforting at all. This started happening in the past week or two.

-The vibration in the pedal probably has something to do with the new throwout bearing. This also arose in the past week or two.

I am going this week (hopefully) to have the owner drive and check everything out but me being a usual DIY'er want to go in with as much knowledge about these issues as possible.

I'm really regretting not taking the time to do this myself, just didn't have the time with all of my Senior Aerospace classes, valet job, and Undergrad research.

I wanted to hear any similar experiences and possible links to additional resources. So that I can go in with as much knowledge as possible, because frankly I don't trust people working on my car.

What really stumps me about his is how none of the symptoms are consistent... :hmm:

Is there something wrong somewhere else in the system or did someone at one of the 3 Indys mess up?

Sorry for the long descriptive OP, I just want to provide as much information as possible. Also, he texted me a pic of the clutch and flywheel which I would post but unfortunately no longer have. For as much as I can tell from pics everything looked very clean and well executed and appeared new.

Any information, opinions, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
Flywheel chatter in neutral points to a dual mass flywheel problem.
I'd take it back to the shop.

·
:D
7,622 Posts
Other than the chatter, everything else is 100% normal on the e46. The clutch is self adjusting. So the engagement point is not going to change ever. The "hump" with a slight click is normal as well. The click is the clutch switch that allows you to start the car. The random feeling you get is what all e46 drivers hate but live with unfortunately.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Other than the chatter, everything else is 100% normal on the e46. The clutch is self adjusting. So the engagement point is not going to change ever. The "hump" with a slight click is normal as well. The click is the clutch switch that allows you to start the car. The random feeling you get is what all e46 drivers hate but live with unfortunately.

Hmm, I never had these issues with the old worn clutch. All I had was the vibration in the pedal from the throwout bearing.

And the hump with the tick for my case is mid pedal movement when depressing the pedal. But I know the start switch noise should be normal.

The shuddering and chatter is probably my main concern. The car literally vibrates in 1st/reverse while chattering loudly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts