BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '01 325i service engine light came on. Codes indicated problem was intake camshaft position sensor. Had indie shop replace both intake and exhaust sensors. Now the car feels flat, like it has lost significant power. Seems to be especially obvious in 2nd gear. Also had fuel filter changed at same time.
Any thoughts, anyone? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Genuine BMW sensors? Was the car performing normally before you changed the sensors? Maybe the indie shop didn't plug the VANOS solenoid back in? Still have the original exhaust sensor?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The general rule of thumb is to use only Genuine BMW sensors. Bav Auto sells the Genuine ones as well as the aftermarkets. So which did you buy?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am shamed to say that I bought the cheaper version after being assured that they were quality. My fault. I will check out the OES ones from autohausaz.com

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Should be Siemens VDO or Genuine BMW only. GBMW is preferred.
I agree. It would be a shame to have to learn the Genuine BMW camshaft position sensor lesson twice. But some cannot resist the lure of cheap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cam shaft position sensors, loss of power

Curiously, the problem resolved itself over the weekend. Took it for a drive on the interstate for some red line shifts and a high speed cruise, and after about half an hour, the drivability was fine. I'm wondering if maybe some gunk or water got sent to the injectors when the fuel filter was replaced at the same servicing as the sensors.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts